Boardwalk Empire - 2035.23 - Dean Promoted, Good First Week!

GM: John Momberg

Moderator: chicoruiz

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Boardwalk Empire - 2035.23 - Dean Promoted, Good First Week!

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Prospect Keith Dean Has Successful First Week in BBA

The Atlantic City Gamblers officially called up former first round pick Keith Dean on September 15th, marking the major league debut for the 2034 first round pick (15th overall). Dean is ranked as the Gamblers’ #3 prospect and #64 in the BBA’s Top 100. Known by “P” due to a horrific pants-wetting incident from his little league days, the twenty-two year old Dean has ascended through the ranks, having a positive impact on each minor league affiliate he has played for.

Starting the season with Class-AA Trenton, Dean hit .307/.369/.513 with 50 runs scored, 24 doubles, 6 triples, 14 home runs, 48 RBIs, 3 stolen bases in 3 attempts (1.000 success rate), and a 3.1 WAR in 420 plate appearances. Dean was also adequate enough with the glove, recording 13 errors (.976 fielding percentage), a -0.8 zone rating, and a .996 defensive efficiency in 864 innings at second base. Trenton went on to finish the season with a 75-56 record and a first place finish in the DNL Colonial, which was certainly influenced by Dean’s performance prior to his promotion to Class-AAA Brooklyn on July 29th. In his debut for Class-AAA Brooklyn, Dean showed he wasn’t overmatched from the start with a 4 for 4 day at the plate with 2 runs scored, a home run, and 4 RBIs in a 7-6 win over the Ashland Slowriders. The game was decided by Dean’s three-run home run in the seventh inning with the Bombers trailing 6-4. For Class-AAA Brooklyn, Dean finished the season hitting .320/.373/.574 with 18 runs scored, 5 doubles, 4 triples, 6 home runs, 28 RBIs, 1 stolen base in 3 attempts (.333 success rate), and a 1.1 WAR in 134 plate appearances. His performance defensively was average-at-best, recording 9 errors (.951 fielding percentage), a -1.8 zone rating, and a .959 defensive efficiency in 291 2/3 innings at second base. Again, his solid performance helped propel Brooklyn to a 75-60 finish, good enough for first place in the GL East Coast division.

Keith first heard news about his promotion from his agent via phone call, also speaking with Assistant General Manager Lance Henry shortly thereafter. “What was I doing when he called? Playing video games…” Dean said with a grin, “first time in my life I didn’t mind hitting pause.” Though the jubilation of getting promoted is something Dean has waited for since being a standout little leaguer in his hometown of San Juan, Puerto Rico, he admitted there was a degree of disappointment that he wouldn’t participate in the playoffs with Brooklyn. “Whether we’re talking Brooklyn or Trenton, since I played for both and both made the playoffs, I always wish I could compete with my guys. We left it all out there and I wish I could be there to do battle with them.”

In his first game in a Gamblers’ uniform, like his debut with Class-AAA Brooklyn, Dean impressed, finishing the game 3 for 3 with a triple and an RBI in a 4-2 victory over the Wichita Aviators. Dean hit an RBI single in the bottom of the second inning off of left-handed pitcher Aldo Hes, tripled in the bottom of the 4th inning off of Hes, and singled in the bottom of the 7th inning off of Hes. Catcher Juan Castillo and shortstop Derrek Kennedy ceremoniously poured red Gatorade on Dean while being interviewed post game, drawing smiles from the youngin’ and right fielder Glenn Gorman, who was also reveling in the duel-interview after mashing a walk-off two run home run in the bottom of the ninth. “At least the Gatorade wasn’t yellow” Dean said, drawing a raucous reaction from fans that got the joke, and applause from others who were just happy to see a dramatic win. Third baseman Derek McLaughlin and left fielder Sergio Cordova also bestowed a Gatorade bath upon the unsuspecting Gorman.

In his second game versus the San Antonio Outlaws, Dean was upended on a 6-4 putout when right fielder Mark White slid hard into second base. Dean left the game, replaced by Soshu Kono, with fans, players, and the Gamblers’ dugout clearly concerned. Diagnosed with a mild shoulder strain, Dean would play through the pain and is pain-free after a week. Through his first week in the BBA, Dean hit an impressive .333/.364/.667 with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles, a triple, a home run, 6 RBIs, and a 0.2 WAR in 22 plate appearances, while also passing the eye test as adequate in the field.

Signed to a major league contract following the 2034 BBA Amateur Draft and tense negotiation with the Gamblers’ front office, it was clearly only a matter of time until Dean was given a shot -- but his quick ascension through the ranks and the toughness shown in his first week at the big league level should impress even his harshest skeptics. Dean said, “I know there aren’t a ton of major league contracts handed out to draftees, so I’ve had a chip on my shoulder to show the fans I’m worth it. I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve had in my life to live out my dream, and I want to continue playing to a level that help my team and make the fans proud.”

So far, so good.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 2035.23 - Dean Promoted, Good First Week!

Post by RonCo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Nice debut. And it's always interesting to get a little read on the background of some of the guy's nicknames. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 2035.23 - Dean Promoted, Good First Week!

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:43 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:25 pm
Nice debut. And it's always interesting to get a little read on the background of some of the guy's nicknames. :)
Indeed. Weren't many options I could think of with his nickname :crazylaugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Atlantic City Gamblers”