2058-16 The Future is now Old Man

GM: Aaron Wharram

Moderator: Knucklehead254

Knucklehead254
BBA GM

2058-16 The Future is now Old Man

Post by Knucklehead254 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:34 am

"Mr. Wharram will see you shortly Mr. Peña," says the office assistant.

Oh man what did I do?

I think to myself. I mean it feels like just yesterday I received the news about being called up to the BBA, a dream I've had since I was just a kid growing up in Cuba. I was ecstatic when I was told by my agent I was projected to go in the first round, a potential signing bonus that I can use to help my family was exactly what I needed. I had grown up not necessarily in poverty but it was certainly a month to month basis where we could just barely afford the essentials. Baseball was my escape, my family's escape.

So I got to go to the draft in 2055 and be there live, waiting for my name to be called.

"With the 11th pick in the 2055 BBA Draft, the Vancouver Mounties select, Raúl Peña!"

Admittedly my first thought was "Canada? God I'm going to freeze."

But seeing my father crying tears of joys made me forget about that, I mean I just got drafted! I walked up to the podium to shake the commissioners hand and grabbed hold of the tan jersey with the Maple Leaf hat. I then walked into the backrooms where I met the man who drafted me, Aaron Wharram. "Welcome to the Mounties! You're my first ever draft pick so expect big things from you!" he said with a smile. Everything was looking up in my life, I soon signed the bonus and began my journey through the system.

It was then two years afterwards I got some shocking news. "You've been traded to Nashville.."

At the time I couldn't believe it, especially after hearing how praised I was by Wharram. So away I went to go join one of the better teams in the league. The only thing I didn't like was hearing this, "We're going to start you in Short A." I couldn't believe it, i just played in A ball last year and it looked as though I was going to make the jump up to AA. But instead I was now taking a step back. So while I waited for the schedule of Short A to start the 2057 BBA draft came and went, when suddenly, I got another phone call from agent.

"Just figured I should tell you before it gets out.. you've been traded.."

'Again?" I say, "Like does no one believe in me?"

"Well I didn't tell you to who yet.. you're going back to Vancouver."

Turns out the Mounties really wanted me back, so they dealt the guy (Javier Basenta) who they picked in the first round over to Nashville. It felt odd but I guess that means Wharram must've valued me more than I thought. So off I went back to Vancouver, where I got to play for the AA affiliate Charleston. I felt I did well enough and by the start of this year I met with Wharram again.

"We're gonna give you a shot in AAA."

I was excited.. just one step closer to the big league. And then I hurt my foot, and then immediately after hurt my arm.. missing the first two months of the season. I thought for sure I was going to be sent back to AA but it didn't happen. Then, right after the first week of June, I got another piece if news that changed my life.

"You're being called up to the BBA, the plan is to put you in the DH slot."

I guess at the time Costa was struggling in the role and with how bad the offense was doing as a whole, Wharram wanted a shakeup. It's been a life changing two months, and I feel like I've been playing very well, but It seems weird that now I'm sitting here waiting to be called into his office again.. after all the last time I was in here is when I was told I had been traded. I entered the office and sat down across from him.

"Well Pena, I just thought you should hear this from me first.." Wharram says to me,

Here it comes

"You've won the Frick League Batter of the Month, Congratulations!"

"A-are you serious?"

"Yep, you have no idea how proud I am of you. I mean, how many other rookies can say they've done that in their first full month in the league?" (No seriously how many I actually have no idea)

I guess that was a good question, but I didn't care, I'd never imagine I'd get to win this award so soon. But to me, things are just getting started.
Aaron Wharram (356-292)
General Manager of the Vancouver Mounties!
Playoff App: 2056, 2057, 2058

Former GM of the Sydney Sharks! (22-22) (August 2054 - October 2054)

Return to “Vancouver Mounties”