2057-9 Here we go again…

GM: Aaron Wharram

Moderator: Knucklehead254

Knucklehead254
BBA GM

2057-9 Here we go again…

Post by Knucklehead254 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:15 am

“It can’t ever be easy can it?”

I'm certainly not in the best of moods. I mean we just got embarrassed against Nashville (again). Then against Omaha, who we usually do well against, completely owned us in the first three games of our series in our house. What's even better is that Omaha has passed us in the WC race and Sacramento is now right on my ass for the final wildcard spot in the Frick League. My first two years in the league went the exact same way going into September, with one resulting in us missing the playoffs by a single game, and the other having us go undefeated in the final week to get into the playoffs. But I suppose that's the thrill of it, I mean is it really better if you clinch early and have to sit around and wait?

YES

Even though we made the playoffs last year I was only able to have Phil Cole pitch one game in the series due to needing him to even get into the playoffs. We won that important Game 3 to go up 2-1 with a chance to win the series at home (we lost 1-0), before getting destroyed in the do-or-die Game 5 against Twin Cities. Even the Twin Cities manager himself admitted that if Cole were able to pitch two games, he would've lost. The jury's out on that one, I feel like he would've beaten me anyways, but that's beside the point. If we do make the playoffs, Phil won't be pitching in any games, as he's still out nursing his partially torn ucl. Funny story, I launched my team trainer out of a cannon towards Bikini at that very moment the injury was announced, and replaced him with Christian Alix in hopes that he can use his outstanding rehab skills to help Cole keep his elite level when he returns.

The remaining schedule has me a bit nervous. We face the tough San Fernando Bears next, and they're placed where I was hoping to be this year. We've got a series against Hawaii who just seems to have my number again lately. And the final series of the year will be against none other than division leader (soon to be division champions) Long Beach so you know, that's great. The defense has been great as we're one of the top defensive teams in the league but unfortunately the offense has just been.. inconsistent. When the bats go, we do great. When they don't, ugh. This team is one of the oldest teams in the league but what will be interesting is this offseason. Tony Frost, Martin Hemming, Davenport Hinkle, and recently acquired Quinten Trewartha all have player options, which could potentially free up $33.3 million next year. I also have no plans to extend Pancho Costa's $12 million team option or Raphael Castagna's $6 million option. There will be a lot to do that I think even if we do make the postseason this year, it may be time to engage in a soft rebuild of the team. We'll see what the future holds.

Can we do it again, can we will our way into the playoffs with a hot September? Or will it be another year in the very long title drought for Vancouver?
Aaron Wharram (356-292)
General Manager of the Vancouver Mounties!
Playoff App: 2056, 2057, 2058

Former GM of the Sydney Sharks! (22-22) (August 2054 - October 2054)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 2057-9 Here we go again…

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 am

I like the way we get to be inside your head in your TN posts. That’s good writing!
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:00 am

Morris will hopefully be back for the final series against Vancouver, but there will probably be a lot of other regulars getting rest for those last few days. Can't afford to risk any injuries if i have the division locked up.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:10 am

Lane wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:00 am
Morris will hopefully be back for the final series against Vancouver, but there will probably be a lot of other regulars getting rest for those last few days. Can't afford to risk any injuries if i have the division locked up.
True. I’ve got Rivera resting every three days for the rest of the year. Might even make it every other day.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:55 pm

You'll be playing my AAA team pretty soon, so that should help.

Oh wait. My major leaguers are essentially a AAA team anyway.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:59 pm

RonCo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:55 pm
You'll be playing my AAA team pretty soon, so that should help.

Oh wait. My major leaguers are essentially a AAA team anyway.
given the relative success of your AAA team you might actually be a tougher matchup?
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vancouver Mounties”