Pablo Soto Speaks (2036 #01)

GM: Aaron Wharram

Moderator: Knucklehead254

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Pablo Soto Speaks (2036 #01)

Post by scottsdale_joe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Pablo Soto Speaks
Does He Have a Future with the Mounties?
by Caitlen Sullivan
Vancouver Sun Sports Reporter
November 6, 2035

Today I devote my column to a transcript of Pablo Soto’s recent interview on CKST Sports Radio Vancouver with baseball analyst and former Mountie third baseman Nick Mannerden:

[NM] So, welcome Pablo to CKST’s Baseball Report.
[PS] Thanks, Nick. It’s always a pleasure. Sort of.
[NM] Well, you had an interesting year. You hit .299 but only got into 66 games. Any physical problems?
[PS] Nah. I was healthy all year. And I only started 50 something games. It was very frustrating. No one likes languishing in the dugout. Especially when it’s a conspriracy.
[NM] Conspiracy? How so?
[PS] So, a new GM struts into town a few weeks into the season and figures he needs to get rid of me and my contract somehow. I had a opt out clause at the end of 2035 where I could get out of the final four years on my contract. I can only assume that management figured if I didn’t get to play, I’d opt out.
[NM] Well, you did have a pretty awful year in 2034 after first signing that big contract with Omaha and then getting traded here mid-season.
[PS] Anyone can have an off year. And getting uprooted again didn’t help either. I was hitting the ball good this year but the club preferred playing a .243 guy over me. I’d rather play third actually, but no way was I getting a chance there with Menne doing his thing.
[NM] You publically stated on several occasion that you wanted to be traded. Are you upset that a trade didn’t occur.
[PS] That new GM told me the market sucked and there were no takers for me. Somehow or other, I fail to believe that.
[NM] Well, you were unhappy here and you had the chance to opt out. Why didn’t you? The free agent market is being characterized as weak. So you had the chance to leave and didn’t. How come?
[PS] Look, I’m a realist. I know my team options in 2038 and 2039 will never be picked up. Even I don’t think I’m worth $19 million a year. So I was looking at two more guaranteed years here at $10 million. That’s a lot of money.
[NM] So you don’t think you could get $10 million in free agency?
[PS] I’d like to think I’m worth that. But I have a wife and three kids. I’m 31. Could I risk it? I decided that I couldn’t.
[NM] Does it bother you that some people in the media are calling you a hypocrite?
[PS] Of course, it does. But they don’t know shit and don’t care about me or my family’s welfare. I just shrug it off. I have to do what’s best for me and my family.
[NM] So you’re ready to languish on the bench for two more years here in Vancouver?
[PS] NO F#*KING WAY. I’m going to show up in the Spring in the best shape of my life. I’m going to be at the top of my game. I plan on showing them that I belong in the starting lineup and that they will have to be nuts not to play me.
[NM] You think you have a chance at starting again?
[PS] Look. Zi-jing Lou is a nice kid. He’s a decent shortstop. But I can outfield him and I can out hit him and at 31 I think I can even still outrun him. And if he can up his game, he can play at second, or first, or in the outfield. I’m going to be the shortstop in 2036. Case closed.
[NM] OK. So. Plans for the off season?
[PS] I’m going home to Panama tomorrow with the wife and kids and I’m gonna be working my butt off all winter. I’m coming to camp in the spring to win the job. That’s all that matters.
[NM] We’ll be watching come March. Thanks for stopping by.
[PS] Peace out, bro. See you in March.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Pablo Soto Speaks (2036 #01)

Post by recte44 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Sweet interview

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 am

I wonder if he'd been more likely to opt-out had he played more games and had a "decent" year?

Clearly he'd not get more than what he's making now but wonder if his lack of PT and his morale cause him to just stay on in Vancouver.

Of course we aren't dealing with real humans here as indicated by the guy who retired instead of cashing in some major pay checks with Atlantic City.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 am

7teen wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 am
I wonder if he'd been more likely to opt-out had he played more games and had a "decent" year?

Clearly he'd not get more than what he's making now but wonder if his lack of PT and his morale cause him to just stay on in Vancouver.

Of course we aren't dealing with real humans here as indicated by the guy who retired instead of cashing in some major pay checks with Atlantic City.
Interesting points. I wonder. Can we do the season over so I can try that?
In any case, I've got him for two more years.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 am

7teen wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 am

Interesting question. I would guess it's more that his numbers were down than his morale.

I can see a guy retiring and leaving big cash on the table, much different case than declining to become a free agent. Eduardo Lopez had already made $242M in his career, and it was clear he couldn't pitch any more. At some point an independently wealthy Hall of Fame kind of talent might have enough pride to chuck a $20 million in baseball funds for other business opportunities.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:31 am

scottsdale_joe wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 am
There was a time where you could try to "non-play" a guy into leaving, but I think the game is mostly smarter than that now.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:55 am

RonCo wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:31 am
scottsdale_joe wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 am
There was a time where you could try to "non-play" a guy into leaving, but I think the game is mostly smarter than that now.
All I will say is that I do not think in any way that the game is smarter than that.
:popcorn:
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vancouver Mounties”