2059-2 Thank You Phil Cole

GM: Aaron Wharram

Moderator: Knucklehead254

Knucklehead254
BBA GM

2059-2 Thank You Phil Cole

Post by Knucklehead254 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:11 am

I remember when I first joined the Mounties, I knew right away Phil Cole was gonna be the guy to try and build around. And I tried, I really tried. But unfortunately, the best laid plans don't always work. But I remember the absolute heights he reached in that 2057 season, 3 straight complete game shut-outs, something I bet has never happened in this league before, and he as looking more and more like he was going to win that Nebraska Award. Crazy that just 2 weeks after, everything fell apart.. he partially tore his UCL. Granted the doctors told me he would be able to recover and not lose a step in his pitching, however.. the time for him to pitch complete games was over. They recommended no more than 7 innings at the absolute most. It was heart-breaking, but also eye opening. You see during the time he was out, the team did its job and kept up roughly the same pace while he was gone. This is where the seeds were planted that it could be the time to trade Phil.

Of course as someone who gets overly attached to his players (cough Tony Frost cough), I still wasn't a 100% on board with the idea. But I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to see what the potential market was. It was quiet at first, mainly because of the new ratings our scouts were going to be using, people were scared to make a trade. I had one suitor who remained interested throughout, but we were seemingly off by one or two players and the deal never materialized. Fast forward to free-agency and who else but... Yellow Springs? I didn't see this coming, not at all to be honest. But he was serious and made a pretty decent first offer. We talked a bit on adding one or two players I wanted, bada-bing bada-boom the deal was done.

It was tough though, I can't lie. A part of me hesitated on hitting the send button when putting the trade in our forum, but I knew deep down this needed to be done. Phil Cole finishes his Mounties stint 5th All-Time in Franchise Wins with 121, 4th in All-Time in Franchise WAR with 41.1, and 3rd All-time in strikeouts with 1730 Ks.

THANK YOU PHIL COLE
Aaron Wharram (358-301)
General Manager of the Vancouver Mounties!
Playoff App: 2056, 2057, 2058

Former GM of the Sydney Sharks! (22-22) (August 2054 - October 2054)

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 2059-2 Thank You Phil Cole

Post by Trebro » Wed May 01, 2024 8:22 pm

I probably overpaid but it was time to make some drastic changes. I am hoping Cole and his strong skills will play well for us. If not I should probably never trade anyone ever again.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

RT60
BBA GM

Re: 2059-2 Thank You Phil Cole

Post by RT60 » Wed May 01, 2024 8:54 pm

Nice move, even though it was a difficult one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vancouver Mounties”