mragland
Ex-GM

Starscreams | Omer's Odyssey (53.07)

Post by mragland » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:55 pm

Starscreams: A Valencia Stars Baseball Blog

Omer's Odyssey

07/07/2053
Brianna Robles, Starscreams contributor

Left fielder Omer Dijkstra was selected to the 2053 Frick League All-Star Team today as the Valencia Stars' lone representative. It is the first BBA all-star appearance for Dijkstra, now in his twelfth big-league season.

A native of Lingewaard, Netherlands, Dijkstra enjoyed the game known as honkbal in his homeland, where he played as a pitcher and outfielder for youth teams before being signed as an international amateur by the Jacksonville Hurricanes. Omer was sixteen at the time. “I was a teenager and had never been to America before,” he said in a recent interview, “I just remember Jacksonville was so warm in February. I thought, 'what am I going to do in the summer? This place is going to kill me!'”

He spent a year fine-tuning his game in the Hurricanes' international complex before joining Jacksonville's rookie league team, appearing in just seven games before being promoted to the short season a squad. Dijkstra would spend another three and a half seasons in the minors before earning promotion to the big league club.

Omer debuted for the Hurricanes in 2042 as a late season call-up, slashing .351/.367/.649 in sixteen games, one of the more productive stretches of his career. “I thought, 'surely it can't be this easy,'” said Dijkstra, reminiscing about his first few weeks in the BBA, “and sure enough, it wasn't.”

Jacksonville tapped Dijkstra to be their a full-time center fielder the following year. The grind of the BBA season, and the Florida climate, took their toll on Omer, who slashed just .251/.284/.381 in 2043.

In his second full year of play, Dijkstra completed the adjustment to life in the BBA. In what probably should have been his first all-star season, Dijkstra hit .291/.328/.571, and tallied a 5.6 WAR. He earned three player of the week awards during the course of the season, and a player of the month award that September, playing for a not very good Jacksonville team that went 74-88.

Omer would play four more seasons for the Hurricanes before becoming a free agent. He signed a large, multi-year contract to play for division rival Charlotte in 2049. It would not work out. Dikstra scuffled to an 84 OPS+ while playing for the Cougars in 61 games. Charlotte tried to trade him, but Omer used his no-trade clause to nix a deal that would send him to San Fernando. Apparently anxious to dump their new outfielder, and his contract, Charlotte designated him for assignment and put Dijkstra on waivers, where he was claimed by San Fernando, the team he had refused to play for a few weeks before.

This pairing seemed doomed from the start. It was two and a half seasons that both parties would just as soon forget, capped by a season-ending back injury that cut short Omer's last season in San Fernando.

Dijkstra became a free agent again in 2051, and as it turned out, he wouldn't even need to move to a new house, as he signed a new free agent contract with the team just up the road in Valencia. His two seasons in Valencia have, thus far, proven to be a restorative for Omer the all star.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/2047 - 11/06/2058)
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Starscreams | Omer's Odyssey (53.07)

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:38 am

Heh, I just noticed the waiver history the other day. How did you get the info on the trade veto? I think he was a really shrewd signing on your part, but it stings to see him carry your offense after what he produced in San Fernando. I thought he was toast after the back injury.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

mragland
Ex-GM

Re: Starscreams | Omer's Odyssey (53.07)

Post by mragland » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:33 am

BaseClogger wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:38 am
Heh, I just noticed the waiver history the other day. How did you get the info on the trade veto? I think he was a really shrewd signing on your part, but it stings to see him carry your offense after what he produced in San Fernando. I thought he was toast after the back injury.
This trade was near-finalized. You can see it posted in the trades forum, along with later comments about why it had to be abandoned.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/2047 - 11/06/2058)
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Valencia Stars”