Sofia (6) | (52.07)

GM: Morris Ragland

Moderator: mragland

mragland
BBA GM

Sofia (6) | (52.07)

Post by mragland » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:45 pm

1.08.2052 – Santa Monica, California

Sofia and her father were enjoying a brief luncheon at a patio table next to the pool. The sun was out, the temperature was pleasant, and the ceviche had just the right amount of spice. She and her siblings had contrived to relocate their father out of Brooklyn to Sofia's house on the west coast. Their hope was that all the sun and warm air would do him good, and Sofia liked the idea of the house having a more or less permanent resident. Healthwise, things were going well with him, but he could still be a grump and it was taking time to adjust to the different pace of life in southern California.

"You know," said James, with a mischievous sparkle in his eye that Sofia knew well enough to be wary of, "Weiner's available." James was back on one of his favorite topics of conversation, replacing the Stars' chief executive.

Sophia rolled her eyes. "Just because he's not currently running a team doesn't mean he's available, dad," said Sofia.

"You should reach out to his agent," persisted James, "see if there's any interest."

"I'm not getting a new club president, dad," responded Sofia. "I can't get rid of the one I've got, they keep giving him executive of the year awards."

"Sure, but those are the only things he's winning," parried James.

"He hasn't been on the job that long."

"Too long, already," insisted James. "How many playoff series has he won, hell, how many playoff games? Your team just got swept out of the playoffs by Yellow Springs for crying out loud, the club famous for choking in October. I mean Collins, he at least wins his division now and again. Your guy can't even do that, in the Pacific! And he has some weird affliction where his teams stink it up in even numbered years. Here we are in '52 and he's going to stink it up again, Sofia. You mark my words."

"We'll see," said Sofia, putting her fork down and crossing her arms. "The Pacific's not quite the pushover everybody makes it out to be."

"Yeah, we'll see," said James. "You stick with this Dollar Store Ron Collins of yours, he's just gonna keep losing you money and losing on the field. Even in good years we've seen his ceiling. Second place in the division, out in the first round. It's the best he can do, poor bastard. I mean, he still doesn't even know how it all fell apart in 2050 does he?"

"You done, dad?" asked Sofia, arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I'm done," said James, smiling. "No more rants until spring, I promise, but have you ever thought about maybe getting the real Ron Collins? Could be all he needs is a change of venue, I mean, if you're dead set against Weiner..."

"Dad!"
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Return to “Valencia Stars”