The Third Floor | Santa Anita, pt. 2 (50.05)

GM: Morris Ragland

Moderator: mragland

mragland
BBA GM

The Third Floor | Santa Anita, pt. 2 (50.05)

Post by mragland » Sun May 08, 2022 9:21 pm

Her name is Phoebe.

They converse over drinks in a lounge, at a table overlooking the track.

She's wearing what Alden imagines her friends tell her is a 'cute' sundress with sandals. She wears her dark hair just above the shoulders and there are freckles on her face. She works as a sound editor for one of the entertainment studios in Los Angeles. Sometimes she works on feature films, but mostly she works on a television show that Alden hadn't heard of (there are so many of them, who can keep up?). For her part, she admits that she doesn't really follow the local California professional sports clubs. She is aware that Valencia has a team, but hasn't been to any of their games.

Like Alden, Phoebe is from out of town as well, though not quite so far from town as he. She grew up in Maryland, just outside Baltimore (her father is an Orioles fan) and she went to school at the UCLA School for Theater, Film, and Television, always with the intent of working in the entertainment industry, but she didn't know exactly what she wanted to do.

"I ruled out acting pretty early," says Phoebe, "I wasn't so much afraid that I'd fail, though the odds of that happening were very good, let's be honest, and I don't get nervous performing in front of people. I guess I decided that the price of success, fame, was just too much. I like not being recognized on the street, not being someone people want their picture taken with. I get to have something like a normal life. I did some acting in school, sure, but also stage managing, and ultimately worked the soundboard. From there I moved to film. I just sort of fell into the whole area of sound, which is really half the experience of watching a movie, when you think about it. I was fascinated with how you could use sound to help tell a story, just as a DP might with images," she said. "Of course, most directors just want to make sure the audience can hear the dialogue."

He has to admit that her job certainly seems more interesting than his. They do talk some about horse racing in general, between races. And there is a lot of time between races. Phoebe is not herself working on a handicapping system, but simply whiling away a few hours with some friends who she says put up with her wandering off from time to time. Alden decides against telling her all about his work in that area, and sticks with the broad strokes of his day job, and what it's like to work for a professional sports club about as far from the field as you can get, figuratively speaking, and still be working in baseball. She listens to Alden with her chin resting in her palm. She seems … engaged, somehow?

“But tell me about your work,” he says, “what else have you worked on that I might have heard of? I do actually watch movies, I promise,” insists Alden.

“Well, lucky for you I keep my CV on my phone,” she says, half joking, reaching for her phone.

Alden likes her smile, and believes that, almost in spite of his efforts at conversation so far, this is going well.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: The Third Floor | Santa Anita, pt. 2 (50.05)

Post by recte44 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 pm

Damn, your writing is really good

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: The Third Floor | Santa Anita, pt. 2 (50.05)

Post by Dington » Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 am

recte44 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 pm
Damn, your writing is really good
Amazing, in fact. I feel like I was at the table next to them losing my wife's alimony payment.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Valencia Stars”