mragland
BBA GM

Starscreams (49.03) Valencia Pitchers Star in New Team Advertisement

Post by mragland » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Starscreams: A Valencia Stars Baseball Blog

Valencia Pitchers Star in New Team Advertisement

12/19/2048
Brianna Robles, Starscreams contributor

Los Angeles area baseball fans have by now likely seen the new Stars season ticket advertisement. It plays out like the intro to a limited television series and features members of the Valencia pitching staff in old west regalia, all wearing tin stars prominently on their chests. They walk as a group through a wild west town and participate in an O.K. Corral style shootout with some rough looking bad guys, all wielding baseball bats and wearing various insignia of Frick league foes.

One by one the 'bad guys' fall to the Valencia hurlers who bloodlessly drop them using finger guns, perhaps a riff on new bullpen pitcher Jorge Huerta's well-known, occasional strikeout celebration. Each Star is introduced by name in a freeze frame with bold text while a Morriconesque soundtrack plays. Ken Arroyo sports the moniker, 'The Plainsman', both a reference to Arroyo's Kansas upbringing and the old Gary Cooper western of the same name. The 'gunfight' concluded, the pitchers depart as a group. A man sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of a general store lifts his head, revealing himself to be former Valencia pitcher and Hall of Famer Skip Glendenning. He smiles and salutes the group as they pass, giving his approval.

Many have noted the fairly high production values evident in the ad. I reached out to club GM Alfredo Vásquez for comment. He noted that the team decided to take advantage of its proximity to the film and television industry and went all in with its push to generate enthusiasm for the Stars upcoming season by showing off some of its new acquisitions, as well as popular returning stars like Arroyo and Mike Dixon. He noted that season ticket sales are so far up 50% over the previous year, so it seems to be working and well worth the investment.

I also was able reach some of the players involved in the ad. Stars closer John Olson mentioned that the shoot “was fun, and the people putting the thing together did a great job making us look good. I'm just glad we didn't have to deliver any lines. A little campy, I guess, with the finger guns, but all in good fun.”

Glendenning, who currently live in Santa Monica, says that Stars management reached out to him back in October about appearing in some ads, but he had no idea he would be participating in something like this. “It felt like being on a movie set or something. I was there for a day. I heard they took three days shooting the thing. It was a fun group to be around.”

Arroyo laughed when I brought up 'The Plainsman' nickname. “Yeah, that was something the marketing folks thought up. We'll see if it sticks or not.” Does Arroyo plan on incorporating a finger gun strike out celebration into his game? “I don't know. Sometimes the emotions of the competition take hold and you do stuff in dramatic moments. You pump your fist, or give out a hoot or something like that. Will I use the finger gun like Shooter McGavin? We'll see. It's kind of different for a starter who has to face a batter two or three times in a game. That sort of stuff can come back on you.”

Dominican Huerta, who signed on as a free agent just two days before the ad was shot and new to the Frick, is less restrained. “The fans respond to it,” he says of his strikeout celebration. “You don't do it every time. You pick your spots, like a strikeout to end an inning. It's like an exclamation mark. It gets the fans excited, the team excited. I can't wait to go after the hitters for real.”
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Starscreams (49.03) Valencia Pitchers Star in New Team Advertisement

Post by Dington » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:36 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to see the ad.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:51 pm

Great piece, and yes, can't wait to see it.

Also, cool idea how you put lines under the players' names and then if you click on it you go direct to their player page!
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:41 am

tylertoo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:51 pm
Great piece, and yes, can't wait to see it.

Also, cool idea how you put lines under the players' names and then if you click on it you go direct to their player page!
Magic underlines! AMAZING 😄

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Valencia Stars”