Sofia (48.18)

GM: Morris Ragland

Moderator: mragland

mragland
BBA GM

Sofia (48.18)

Post by mragland » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:55 am

4.20.2048 - Brooklyn, New York

Sofia had just sat down to breakfast when she was interrupted by a soft knock on her office door. “It's open,” she said. Sofia preferred to eat at her desk during the week. Hanging around the house just seemed like a waste of time.

In walked her chief of security, Seymour Washington, wearing a dark suit and a look of bemused concern.

Sofia motioned for Seymour to take a seat while she worked on her grapefruit.

“We may have a problem, Sofia,” said Seymour, crossing his legs and leaning back on a love seat. “We've gotten wind of some chatter. We might have stranger in our house.”

Sofia put down her spoon. This was a problem. “Oh, where?” she asked.

“West coast. Valencia,” replied Seymour.

Sofia did a double take and made a face. “Wait a minute. Valencia? The baseball club?”

“We have very scant evidence, but that's the indication, that it's … uh ... baseball related.”

Sofia arched a eyebrow. “Seymour, you're sitting there telling me we might have a baseball mole?”

“I know how this sounds...”

“It sounds like an extravagant waste of resources. Some billionaire man-child with too much time on his hands. Should have just bought a rocket ship like the rest of them.” Sofia sighed. “I know the type. I used to be married to one of them, after all. This chatter is credible?” asked Sofia, dabbing at the corner of her mouth with a white linen napkin.

“Sources have been reliable in the past. Multiple teams, including yours. Maybe all of them, save one, of course. Now, here I'm speculating, but it sounds like somebody is looking for a competitive advantage, lifting player evaluations, internal communications, looking in on strategy sessions, that sort of thing.”

“Why not hack into the team's systems remotely?”

“At this point I can't say for certain that they didn't try. I can say for certain that the firewalls were not breached. My guess is that somebody has a thing for old school methods.”

“Incredible. Has this sort of thing happened in the league before?”

Seymour glanced out the window for a moment. “I've got people looking into that. I'll let you know. Should we tip off the league office?”

“No. They'd be out of their depth, I suspect, if not already compromised.” Sofia stared at bran muffin for moment. “We should go ahead and put together dossiers on the other thirty-one owners while we're at it.”

“We're on that, too,” said Seymour. “Regarding the agent, we're taking a look at everybody hired on in the last twelve months. Normally not a long list, but with the new club president, there were lots of new hires. We already vetted the people who came over from Beirut, so I'm setting that group aside, for now.”

“If it's limited to Valencia, this is a simple matter,” said Sofia, taking the top off the muffin with a deft twisting motion. “If they start poking around the palace, it's something else, and will require swift and decisive action. Protecting the palace is your first priority. Second, related to the first, they should not get the least notion of who they're dealing with, so no overt action should be taken that can come back to us. Third, we identify the agent and feed them a steady diet garbage until we can track down the bad actor, so figure out what they're after and make sure they find only disinformation. Let's not give them usable product. Fourth, once we know the actor ... well … I'll have to think of a proportionate response when the time comes, which again, can't come back to us. We should probably assume at least some of these people are pros, so be careful.”

“Baseball espionage,” said Seymour, with a chuckle.

“The more I think on it, the more galling it becomes,” said Sofia. “Whatever happened to fair play?”
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Sofia (48.18)

Post by Jwalk100 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:55 pm

Fantastic!

The web is spinning.
ImageImageImageImageImage

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:05 pm

Does this relate to any previous work or is Sofia new?
GM Vancouver Mounties

mragland
BBA GM

Post by mragland » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:42 pm

This is the first piece I've done regarding the Stars team owner.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Valencia Stars”