The Third Floor (48.03)

GM: Morris Ragland

Moderator: mragland

mragland
BBA GM

The Third Floor (48.03)

Post by mragland » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 am

11.12.2047, Santa Clarita

“Well, on the one hand we've landed in the BBA division where winning doesn't seem to be much of a priority at the moment,” says Grant as he puts down his drink. “On the other hand, the club hasn't been good, and may actually have been significantly worse than the record indicated. Their pythag last season was fifty-eight and one-o-four, which they beat by twelve wins. I don't see the team getting back to seventy wins again soon without some big changes being made.”

Alden finishes wiping his mouth with a napkin. “You know, a week ago I hadn't even heard of Korean barbecue, and now I think I could eat it three times a day.”

It's a sunny day and the pair are seated at a patio table underneath a large, red and white umbrella.

Grant continues, “Last year's team, statistically, wasn't much good at anything. Only two vaguely bright spots were that the pitchers didn't walk a ton of guys and the hitters didn't strike out significantly more than average.” He takes a bite of refried beans. “And here's a fun fact. The team had a collective position player WAR of four point five. Frédérick Brisset, by himself, had a WAR of four point seven. Brisset plus Haney had a WAR of nine point one, but the rest of the team was so bad that it didn't matter how good those two were. Theoretically, you should have been able to surround Brisset and Haney with random warm bodies and win four or five more games than you did.”

“Hmmm... I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with banking,” replies Alden, as he picks up his third taco. “Anyway, you said this was a weak division, or words to that effect. So there are wins to be had, perhaps?”

“Yeah, the Pacific's objectively weak. This division had the fewest wins in the association last year. You have Sacramento, which is the bell cow of the Pacific. Lots of division crowns, lots of playoff appearances, three championships. Just got over a rough patch by the looks of it.

“Just behind them, you have Hawaii with four playoff appearances in the last five seasons.

“The club down the road was garbage when I was a growing up in the twenties. They were in Buffalo, then they were in Cuba, won the Landis in '34, and immediately skipped town, which doesn't exactly scream 'class' to me, but whatever. I'm not supposed to like them anyway. A couple of Pacific crowns since the last move, but no more Landis for them.

“Seattle has been more up than down, historically, but when they're down they're awful, like they were last year, and they've never won it all, just like Valencia.

“Way up north, there's Vancouver, who were really good before my time, got good again in the twenties, and then fell off a cliff. Got a division crown in forty-one, then kinda sank back into the muck again.

“At the bottom, you have Portland, an expansion team that's never had a winning season. Pretty good farm system, though, so they'll bubble up in the standings eventually.

“But I'm not sure there are a lot of wins to be had. This isn't like last year. The Cedars had run prevention pretty much nailed down in forty-six, and we just needed some hitting. This isn't an 'add a few pieces and you win the league' kind of a situation.

“Shoot, I need to finish this up before it gets cold,” says Grant, indicating his plate.

The two eat in companionable silence before returning to the office on a bright, southern California Tuesday afternoon.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: The Third Floor (48.03)

Post by Dington » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:48 am

Korean BBQ sounds delicious right now, but 3x a day might kill ya.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Valencia Stars”