Experimentation 2057.26

GM: James Walker

Moderator: Jwalk100

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Experimentation 2057.26

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:26 pm

Hawaii Tropics GM Jim Walker was sitting at his desk sipping on a large glass of George Dickel. He thought, now is the best time.

“Assie, send up Anton and Rich.”, he ordered.

“Jim, you need to change my name, or I will report you to HR.”, responded the AI assistant.

He chuckled, “I’ll think about it, but I am HR.”

She retorted, “You think you are. Then, “They are on their way.”

Assistant GM Anton Vogts was the first to arrive with Manager Rich Kerr about five minutes later. Walker motioned for them to sit down then he began, “Ant, we’re here to discuss your contract extension.”

Vogts looked at Kerr from the corner of his eye but didn’t turn his head. He said, “Why does he have to be here?”

“Because that’s part of the problem, Ant. You two need to get along. The team can feel the tension between you two and we can’t have that.”

He shot back, “Because that fucker is too lax! Too lenient!”

Kerr laughed, “I’m right here, Anton.”

Walker held up his hand and both went silent.

“Rich is here for how he relates to players. He is good at developing players and keeping them playing at a high level.”, said Walker.

“I get it.”, Anton said. Then, “What’s the offer?”

“4 years and 517K+. That’s a 40K raise, give, or take a dollar.”, Walker spat out. “Take it or leave it.”

Vogts looked over at Kerr then back at Walker. “I’ll think about it.”

“It’s now or never.”, Walker said calmly. He offered the AI assistant that had a contract already on the screen. Vogts took his virtual pen out of his pocket and signed.

“Thanks, Ant.” Walker said as he stood and shook Vogts hand then saw him out. Kerr was following Vogt out, but he was stopped by Walker saying, “Stay Rich. We have some things to cover with the team.”

Kerr swallowed. Here it is. I’m getting an ass chewing. He sat back in the chair and Walker offered him a drink. He then thought, maybe not.

“Rich, this season has been a complete disaster. I know we’ve tried everything. Moved guys up, moved ‘em down. Fiddled with the order, the rotation. I think it’s time to get…..experimental.”, Walker said with some enthusiasm.

“How so?”, asked Kerr with some suppressed anxiousness.

Walker said, “We start with pitching. Give me some ideas. What we’ve done hasn’t worked.”

Kerr responded, “Ah. I’ve been thinking on that. The use of the hybrid starter isn’t working like last season. I would like to go 4-man rotation. For the starters, low pitch counts 50-65 or 18 to 22 batters then pull them. For relievers, higher pitch counts with the higher stuff and movement guys as the stoppers. Go with the top 3.”

Walker smiled, “Couldn’t hurt to try.”

“I like the way you think, boss.”, said Kerr with a grin.

Walker grinned back, “Do your worst.”
ImageImageImageImageImage

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: Experimentation 2057.26

Post by JimSlade » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:42 pm

I have been this close [makes forefinger-thumb gesture] to go8ng to a 3- or 4-man rotation! I'll be watching and, possibly, copying.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:53 pm

I've been doing that in Rookie ball. Seems to work okay. At least from a fatigue standpoint.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:21 pm

4-2 after first sim in use. Small sample size.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Hawaii Tropics”