The Tropic News 2053.5

GM: James Walker

Moderator: Jwalk100

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

The Tropic News 2053.5

Post by Jwalk100 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:24 pm

The Hawaii Tropics embark on their first road trip of the season with a four-game series in Chicago against the Black Sox.

Game 1- The Tropics score four runs but then allowed the Black Sox to score seven unanswered runs to take the series opener. Hawaii starter Terry Hansen kept the Black Sox scoreless through four innings but Chicago hitters broke through in the fifth and sixth innings to chase him. Hansen allowed four runs on eight hits and three walks n 5 2/3 innings. He struck out three batters in the no decision.

Hansen said, “Those guys worked me over good. I had their number early, but my slider is just rolling up there and they killed it.”

Dominic Thompson made his first appearance of the season going an inning allowing a hit, a walk and striking out a batter.

Rhys Brickell was 2 for 4 with a run scored. Katsumi Matsumoto was 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI. Masaki ‘Icon’ Sato was 1 for 4 with a double, a run scored and an RBI.

Chicago wins 7-4.

Game 2- The Tropics even the series with a combined five hit shutout of the Black Sox. Michael Kalil was excellent through 5 1/3 innings for Hawaii allowing just four hits while fanning three batters to earn the win. Alberto Castaneda pitched two scoreless innings giving up a hit and a walk while fanning two. Jason Wellon pitched just a 1/3 of an inning with a walk before handing the ball to Dominic Thompson to finish the game. Thompson pitched 1 1/3 innings with 2 Ks for the save.

Matsumoto is having a great start to the season as he was 2 for 4 and drove in two runs as the DH. Rhys Brickell needs a bounce back season after last years disaster. He was 0 for 2 with two walks and two runs scored. Pedro Huerta was 1 for 4 with a solo homer, his first as a Tropic. Al Garrett was 1 for 4 with a triple, a run scored and an RBI. Adhyapayana Mehta was 2 for 4 with a triple, a walk, a stolen base and a run scored.

Hawaii wins 5-0.

Game 3- The Chicago Black Sox return the favor as they shutout the Topics on just four hits. Ramao ‘Massacre’ Saturnino had 2 of the 4 Hawaii hits on a 2 for 4 day. Rhys Brickell was 1 for 4 with a stolen base while Katsumi Matsumoto was 1 for 3.

Troy ‘Teddy Bear’ Reynolds was attacked by Black Sox hitters from the start as he allowed seven runs (six earned) on seven hits and two walks. Three of the seven hits were homers. He struck out four batters and takes his first loss of the season. Tye Whitford threw two scoreless innings allowing just two hits, gave up a walk and struck out a batter. Angel Hernandez threw a scoreless inning giving up a walk.

Chicago wins 7-0.

Game 4- The Tropics earn a series split with another shutout of the Black Sox. Austin George had his splitter and cutter working against Chicago hitters as he broke 4 bats on his way to the win. He threw seven innings giving up just four hits with five Ks. He improves to 1-1 with a 4.76 ERA.

George said after the game, “My cutter was riding in hard on the lefties and my split was getting some swings and misses from the righties. It felt good.”

Juan Cerda earned his first save as a Tropic with two scoreless innings of work. He gave up a hit and fanned two batters.

The Trops didn’t need much offense this day and the hitters obliged by scoring just two runs. Pedro Huerta was 1 for 3 with a triple, a walk and an RBI. Thomas Kramer was 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI. Rhys Brickell was 2 for 3 with a walk and a run scored. Mike Campbell was 1 for 5 with a run scored.

Hawaii wins 2-0.

The Trops and Black Sox split the four-game series.

Hawaii GM Jim Walker said, “The bats have been cold, but I think they're starting heat up.”
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hawaii Tropics”