The Tropic News 2043.19

GM: James Walker

Moderator: Jwalk100

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

The Tropic News 2043.19

Post by Jwalk100 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:48 pm

The Hawaii Tropics make their next stop in Yellow Springs for a three game series with the Nine at Utopia Field.

Game 1- The Tropics score 2 runs in the top of the ninth to take the series opener against the Yellow Springs Nine. The aging Ettienne LaFitte crushed a pinch hit 2 run home run to give his teammates a big win against the Frick League’s elite team. LaFitte said, “I know I am in the twilight of my career, but this was fun. I know I can contribute when needed.”

SP Niccolo “Notorious” Destefani was tough against the Yellow Springs lineup. He pitched 6 innings giving up just 1 run on 4 hits and a couple of walks. He struck out 10 batters in a no decision. He lowers his ERA to 4.09 on the season.

P Stephen Taub was excellent in relief again. He pitched 2 innings and gave up just 1 hit. He earned his 3rd win of the season and has a 3.14 ERA. Taub said, “ I can easily bounce from starting to relief. I love doing this.”

RP Norm McConnell earned his 19th save of the season pitching a clean ninth. He struck out 2 batters and retired the side in 12 pitches.

DH Ernest McBride was 2 for 5 with a solo homer.

Hawaii wins 3-1.

Game 2- Yellow Springs scores 7 runs and their pitching staff keeps the Hawaii bats relatively quiet to even the series. Yellow Springs Starter Al “Big Time” Colbert allowed just 2 runs over 6 innings of work to earn his 6th win of the season against no losses. He sports a 1.60 ERA in making just his second start of the season.

1B Manuel Aguilar, Jr. was 1 for 4 with a solo homer.

2B Jack “Junkyard” Nichols was 2 for 3 with a double, a run scored and an RBI.

SP Jesus Gonzalez continued to be a mixed bag of good and bad starts. He went 3 innings and gave up 4 earned runs (7 runs) on 7 hits and struck out 2 batters. He falls to 8-6 with a 5.16 ERA on the season.

Yellow Springs wins 7-3.

Game 3- For the second time this series, the Tropics keep the game close then get a run in the ninth to take a win. The hero this time was 3B Gary Allen. Allen hit a homer to put Hawaii on top then Norm McConnell came on in the home half of the ninth to stop any chances of a comeback. McConnell pitched a clean ninth and struck out 1 in earring his 20th save.

th.jpeg
th.jpeg (5.54 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Allen fields his position

Jack Nichols was 2 for 3 with his 5th homer of the season and a double.

C Ron Shiplack added a solo homer going 1 for 4 on the day.

SP Alaric Wullenweber pitched 7 innings allowing 2 runs on 5 hits and struck out 11 batters. He gets a no decision and lowers his ERA to 3.33.

Hawaii wins 3-2 and takes the series 2-1.

The Tropics complete their road trip in Long Beach with a three game series with the Surfers at Vito Constantino Memorial Stadium.

Game 1- The Surfers continue their dominance of the Tropics in the series opener. Hawaii SP Zak Johnson allowed just 5 hits through the fifth inning before having the wheels fall off in the sixth as the Surfers score on a 3 run homer by 1B Miguel Suarez. The Tropics could not stop the bleeding and could not muster any offense to respond.

Johnson ended with 6 1/3 IP, 4 run allowed on 8 hits, a walk and 3 Ks.

Stephen Taub came on in relief in the seventh and finished the game. He allowed 2 runs on 2 hits, a walk and struck out 2.

CF Ronnie Hubbard was 2 for 2 with a double, a run, a stolen base and was caught stealing.

SS Miguel Rodriguez was 1 for 4. He hit his 2nd homer of the season.

Long Beach wins 7-3.

Game 2- The Surfers add to the Tropics misery with another overall team pitching performance. SP Ernesto Delgado kept the Tropics at bay allowing just 1 run over 5 1/3 innings. He gave up just 3 hits and issued a walk while striking out 4.

SP Luis Torres took the ball for the Tropics and was not quite up to the task. The Surfers hit 2 homers off of Torres out of the 5 hits given up. He allowed 4 earned runs (5 runs), walked 1 and struck out 8 in 6 innings.

CF Ronnie Hubbard was 2 for 4 with a run, an RBI and a stolen base.

SS Miguel Rodriguez was 1 for 2 with a walk, 2 RBI and a stolen base.

Long Beach wins 5-3.

Game 3- The Tropics finally break through against the Surfers and avoid the sweep. Young starter Niccolo Destefani let his defense do the work. He went 6 2/3 innings giving up just 1 run on 4 hits, 3 walks and struck out 2. He earned his 8th win of the season and now has a 3.95 ERA.

Stephen Taub pitched 2 innings of scoreless relief walking 2 and striking out 3.

Miguel Aguilar, Jr. was 3 for 4 with a homer, a run and 3 RBI.

Gary Allen and Jack Nichols with hit solo homers.

th-1.jpeg
th-1.jpeg (5.74 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Nichols in the field

Hawaii wins 5-1.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hawaii Tropics”