2039/6 Where There's a Wils There's a.....

GM: James Walker

Moderator: Jwalk100

nerfHerder
Ex-GM

2039/6 Where There's a Wils There's a.....

Post by nerfHerder » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:16 am

Hernandez? Campos? Not content with just making an upgrade to the offense, the team struck an overnight deal with the Brooklyn Robins to add some much needed pitching depth and rotation insurance. While doing that, they also added a utility guy. As everyone knows, those guys are heroes in the postseason. If that happens of course. Let's look at the deal.

To Hawaii:
SP Douglas Wils
RP Jesús Hernández
2B José Campos

To Brooklyn:
RP Enrico Morales(A)
RF Bobby Parker(AAA)

Let's look at the Brooklyn side of things first. To me it's a nice return. You get a reliever who right now is as good as the guy getting shipped out (Hernandez). Once his second pitch develops he could be a pretty filthy set up guy for a long time. In Parker you're getting a guys who is ML ready, can hit for power, and looks like he may bump up a step or two in development. All of this for a reliever that is on an expiring deal, a SP that has yet to really show he is anything in the ML, and a 2B that the franchise has an over abundance of.

Now the Hawaii side. They get Wils, who will provide insurance with Jermaine Clayton battling finger blisters so far all season. The spacious ballpark in Hawaii may help him get going too. Hernandez provides an upgrade tone of the bullpen spots and is cheap. Not that the team doesn't have payroll room. Campos is the interesting part. He can play 2B as well as the starter in Hawaii, and can also play CF, which is a spot that is bare in Hawaii. Expect him to go to AAA for a little bit to play some SS. Overall not a bad deal. Morales will be good, and Parker is a big bat. It's time to try to win now though. Let's see what happens.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-2044)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2039/6 Where There's a Wils There's a.....

Post by RonCo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:34 pm

I've always kind of liked Wils, but yes, he needs a big ballpark and I cannot lie.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

nerfHerder
Ex-GM

Post by nerfHerder » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:49 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:34 pm
I've always kind of liked Wils, but yes, he needs a big ballpark and I cannot lie.
I’m hoping to pull a little magic out of him.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-2044)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Wils was hot in April. I thought he put it together. Then he reverted back. I genuinely feel he is a solid mid rotation pitcher who will figure it out any day now. I think my park is one of the toughest in the BBA for Lefty Power hitters. Which would have catered to his skillset. But it just didn't happen yet.

I think Mike is right about Parker bumping. Or at least being better then his ratings dictate. He has ripped the cover off the ball everywhere he has played. 1.000+ OPS at every level. Even as a 20 year old in AAA. You can tell by his splits that his ratings are on the higher end of the number. Like how does 4 Contact(vs LHP) and 6 Contact(vs RHP) average out to 6 Contact(Ovrl)? He has to be really close to 5/7. So in my weird made up stab at how these ratings work. I see him as ALMOST 7/10/8/7/5 vs RHP. Not quite those numbers, but really close.

No matter what happens on my end, I hope Hawaii finds success. It's been a long time coming for the Tropics.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Hawaii Tropics”