Tropic Times Vol. I (15 Dec 1997)

GM: James Walker

Moderator: Jwalk100

EchoesIE
Ex-GM

Tropic Times Vol. I (15 Dec 1997)

Post by EchoesIE » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Honolulu, HA - The Office of Josh Cornel is a rather simple operation. Sitting against the window is a maple desk with a lone tower monitor facing a modest black chair. A half dozen plain white notebooks are scattered around the desk. Rather than hammering away at the computer, checking email, crunching finances and memorizing stats. Cornel is staring at the a white board that takes up a whole wall. The white board is the Hawaii General Managers life at this point in the winter.

"There is so much possibility here with the Tropics," Cornel says, chewing on the end of a pen, "We have an excellent base, a great atmosphere and some quality ballplayers. Everyone at this point in the season is looking at which pieces will fit their rosters. We're no different." Cornel was a scout for a semi-pro team in Anchorage for the last 4 years, before that he was an assistant coach at San Jose State University for 6 years. Cornel was a bit of a surprise for the General Manager role in Hawaii, but he has all the tools needed for the job according to Owner Don Ho: "Mr. Cornel is an excellent baseball personality, he knows what he's talking too. He has full control over the franchise and I look forward to working hand-in-hand with him for the forseeable future."

Hawaii finished 69-83 on the 1997 Campaign, finishing 4th in their division and too many games out of the playoffs to count. Owner Don Ho brought Josh Cornel into General Managers role, hoping that the new young GM will breathe a fresh life in the Hawaii Locker Room.

"I"m not looking to change everything about the club, we had the highest attendance we've had this last year. We are a good club, just looking for a few more opportunities for our players to show their skills and make plays." Cornel has already made an impact this off-season. Signing a number of quality players in hopes to shore up parts of the roster that weren't quite where the Tropics wanted them.

"I'm happy to be the General Manger of the Tropics. This place is paradise, and as always, paradise is a good place to be at."

~~~ Rumblings and Grumblings ~~~
Signings:
Signed SP Steve Cooke on the 11th. Cooke pitched in 36 games in 1997, going 13-14 with an ERA over 5. Cooke had 119 K's in 206 innings, with a WHIP of 1.44
Signed SP Samuel Smith on the 11th. Smith pitched in 53 games in 1997, going 7-9 with an ERA of 5.65. Smith had 88 K's in 119 Innings.
Signed RP Steven McCullough on the 8th. McCullough pitched in 19 games as part of AAA Syracuse in 1997. McCullough had a 5-3 Record with an ERA of 3.51 over 74 innings.
Hawaii also signed Relievers Michael McBean and Angel Miranda hoping the pair will shore up the rest of the bullpen.

Rumors:
Hawaii has a definite interest in 1B Brock Lee who is arguably the most saught after bat in the Free Agent Pool this year. Insiders have the Hawaii offer approaching $20 Million per season. Lee would be a terrific addition to an offense that struggled at the dish, hitting only .269.
Hawaii has also expressed interest in C Oscar Mazzarella, who hit 26 dingers and had 70 RBI while batting .281 for Long Beach this last year.
Josh Cornel - Hawaii Tropics GM
Your MBBA Marketing Director

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Tropic Times Vol. I (15 Dec 1997)

Post by recte44 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 pm

That's just why I figured I'd bow out on Lee early. That's just too rich for my blood.

Great team news, Josh. Let's see more and more! I think that's the first HAW team news in like two years, btw.

felipe
Ex-GM

Re: Tropic Times Vol. I (15 Dec 1997)

Post by felipe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:24 am

You know...you can have this guy...Larry Wilkes...for a 2.5 pot starter...he's a hell of a lot cheaper....

Keep your cash and spend it on whores and booze...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Hawaii Tropics”