Moderator: shoeless.db

shoeless.db
BBA GM

44.51 Southpaw Inks Extension

Post by shoeless.db » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:47 am

September 15, 2044 | Mad Popes Record: 69-79, 23 GB, 10 GB(WC), 4-3 last sim
Rolio Elder | Apprentice to the Exalted Mystic | Donkeagle Press

Tony Alomar
On June 9th, Sacramento made a quiet deal with the Wichita Aviators, bringing in aging southpaw Tony Alomar for a smattering of minor leaguers. The move was a contradiction at the time, why bring in an aging arm on the last year of his contract during a season where top brass had already thrown in the towel? But, the Popes and their fan interest were in free fall due to an abysmal starting rotation, so Alomar was acquired to stabilize the pitching staff despite the fact that the 35-year-old veteran lefty had started just three games in over 300 BBA appearances.

Sacramento was rewarded for their gamble as Alomar currently posts a 7-4 record with a 2.89 ERA and 3.40 FIP over 93 1/3 innings in 15 starts and 2 relief appearances for the Popes. For his efforts, Alomar was signed to a one year extension for 2045 for a respectable $7.5 million.

"We threw the dice," Shoeless said while chopping a head of purple cabbage for a fresh batch of sauerkraut at this office desk at South Pacific Field. "And, they look to be coming up snake-eyes right now."

With several highly touted pitching prospects ready or close to ready to contribute for the Mad Popes, the one year deal will help bridge the gap moving forward, while providing both veteran leadership in the rotation and a possible comp pick if Alomar pitches well.

"I was a late bloomer in the Brewster," Alomar said. "I didn't make my debut in the league until I was 29 years old. I'm happy about the deal for next year, but, to be honest, I plan on pitching well so I can sign a multi-year, free agent deal. I have to look out for ole number one. I'm no spring chicken."
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”