44.22 Relief in Second Round

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

shoeless.db
BBA GM

44.22 Relief in Second Round

Post by shoeless.db » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:58 pm

May 12, 2044 | Mad Popes Record: 13-23, 10 1/2GB, 3-3 last sim
Rolio Elder | Apprentice to the Exalted Mystic | Camacho Order #26 | Donkeagle Press

After the selection of two starting pitchers and an outfielder in round one of the 2044 Amateur Draft, the Mad Popes looked to shore up the organization's bullpen strength by selecting high school pitchers and STX Soul teammates Matt Spencer and Gordon Sowers. Both prospects were starters during their prep days but profile best coming out of the pen.

"We were ecstatic that both men fell to us in the second round, "Shoeless said as he played a game of Molkky with some codgers at a local Sacramento park. "The green-eyed woman beamed upon seeing how the chicken's entrails ... umm, let's just say she sees great things from them moving forward."

Matt Spencer
Spencer grew up in Brooklyn, New York, playing a street version of baseball he and his friends called Xerxes Ball. Other than being played in a tight alley behind a local deli, the main difference between Xerxes Ball and real baseball was the pitchers stood at 120 feet from home plate rather than 60' 6". Spencer's pitching repertoire features a knee-buckling uncle Charlie and a deceptively good fastball. He also mixes in a clown change-up for color.

"I guess pitching from such a long distance strengthened my arm over time," said Spencer. "Plus, I had to find a way to have the guys hit it on the ground because then it was almost a sure out in the tight alleyway. I owe being drafted to my Xerxes Ball buddies."

Gordon Sowers
Sowers, who goes by the nickname Golden in his hometown of Rainsville, Alabama, is the four-time defending champion of the toilet toss at his local county fair. He features a vindictive 12-6 curveball, a developing fastball, and a hit-me change-up.

"Now the key to a good toilet toss is all in the grip," Sowers said. "You can't be afraid to get your hand around the rim of that old stool, you kna."
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: 44.22 Relief in Second Round

Post by Ted » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:39 am

So, I'm not sure that I like the idea of San Fernando drafting relievers. You aren't allowed to bullpen, Randy.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”