42.38 Shoeless Changes Tune on Manning

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

shoeless.db
BBA GM

42.38 Shoeless Changes Tune on Manning

Post by shoeless.db » Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am

Changing Tune

September 29, 2042; Sacramento -- A chance flip of a television channel resulted in a flip of perception for California Crusader General Manager Shoeless. In his flurry to scout as many possible Frick League playoff opponents as he can after the Crusaders secured another playoff appearance this season, Shoeless stumbled across the end of the Yellow Springs/Chicago game on September 22.

"I was growing bored with watching Louisville demoralize Des Moines on Fox Sports DixieLand," said Shoeless from his office at South Pacific Field. "I started flipping channels on the remote and fell upon the last out of the Sox/Nine game. Well, the Nine announcer said Mikki Manning was performing a free concert at the stadium after the game, which the station planned on televising. I grabbed myself a fresh Zima and bowl of Cheez-Its and hunkered down on my couch fully expecting some over-produced, self-grandiose performance by Manning. Instead, what I watched and heard really hit me square in the feels."

Manning performed a 45-minute set for the Yellow Spring faithful at Utopia Field from her multiple award winning album It Can’t Be Right as Rain. Manning is the husband of Yellow Springs aging legend, Lucas McNeill.

Shoeless continued: "I owe Manning a huge apology for our recent, childish spat. Her song Dancing on Dying Grass ... well, I'm not embarrassed to say, made me choke up a bit. It's a really tender song. It's already made me a better man."

Dancing on Dying Grass was written by Manning several years ago and is a song she rarely performs live. She has never publicly stated the inspiration behind its raw, yet soothing words, resulting in many music enthusiasts to disagree on the song's meaning. Some believe it is an homage to men and women around the world who work themselves hard each day to provide a simple living for their family -- individuals who will never win the big game in life, but keep moving forward regardless. Others say the message is one of hope and optimism. While, others still decree the song holds a darker, more pessimistic view of the world. Lyrics to the song follows:

Dancing on Dying Grass

In the sun, unrecognized
torn hems
simple steps
I catch her smile
stamping stalks
of her yesterday

In the sun, masked with chaff
chapped hands
and mudded meal
I catch her smile
stamping stalks
of her yesterday

Tell the girl she is no one
Tell the girl she has no one
Tell the girl the world is dark
Tell the girl her world is dark
tell the girl
oh, tell the girl
dancing
dancing
on dying grass

In the sun, cracked, uncaring
chopped souls
and desperate daring
I catch her smile
stamping stalks
of her yesterday

Tell the girl she is no one
Tell the girl she has no one
Tell the girl the world is dark
Tell the girl her world is dark
tell the girl
oh, tell the girl
dancing
dancing
on dying grass

stamping stalks
of my yesterday
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 42.38 Shoeless Changes Tune on Manning

Post by RonCo » Mon May 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Nice ...

And that's a helluva lyric, Doug. Is it already set to music?
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Jesus. I hope you continue to make the playoffs because I'd hate to see your team news if you were eliminated by late August.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Vinnie’s reactions to that song: 1) If she’s that unhappy with grass, get AstroTurf; 2) she ain’t no Vic Damone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”