41.08; 2039 Draft Review

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

shoeless.db
BBA GM

41.08; 2039 Draft Review

Post by shoeless.db » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:20 am

As I sit pretending to work as coworkers walk into my office, I thought a review of California's top three draft picks of 2039 would be a great way to pass the time until my first pick of this year's draft rolls around (the Crusaders draft in spot 35 due to an abundance of unsigned picks from last year turned into comps this year).

2039 Draft (Shoeless' first)

Round 1, 30th overall: OF Keith Schultz
Born left-handed, but forced to bat right-handed by some idiot T-ball coach in Tupelo, Mississippi, this talented outfielder is still a developing prospect currently on AA Bismarck. He did win the 2040 CPL (A) PL Platinum Stick Award at Center Field.

Round 1, 36th overall (Supp. 4th pick): Joe Lacy
Lacy is currently GM Shoeless' favorite minor league player. He has won platinum stick awards at both second base and center field (2038 HSAS (HS) BGL Platinum Stick Award at CF; 2039 HSAS (HS) BGL Platinum Stick Award at CF; and, 2040 CPL (A) PL Platinum Stick Award at 2B). In a little over 2 seasons in the minors and over three levels and winter league, Lacy holds a slash-line of .313/.337/.526 in 1109 plate appearances.

Round 2, 71st overall: SS Thomas Kramer
The sleek fielding shortstop has actually bumped defensively in the minors, but he also fell a bit in his offensive potential. He's currently working to add second base as a viable position in AA Bismarck. I still like this pick as he's a solid pickup at this portion of the draft and he should be a viable contributor due to his elite level defense and passable offense.

NOTABLE -- Round 15, 478th overall: P Aurelio Castillo
A fun ratings bumper, Castillo just keeps making the case for a future on the Crusader ballclub. He was drafted with potential pitcher ratings of 5/2/4. Scouts have since upped those numbers to 7/3/7 with a fastball and changeup rated as 9/9s and a Knucklecurve as an 8/8. He's not a prototypical California pitcher as he's a flyball guy with low movement, but the dude can just pitch. He's a hard one not to cheer for.

DRAFT GRADE -- D+
Schultz, Lacy, and Kramer are coming along just fine, have put up solid stats in the minors, and should be supplemental contributors at the major league level, but the opportunity cost was just too high looking back. Crusader brass had a couple guys above Schultz the entire draft (SP Thorpe, SP Harrison, and SP Stone ... we actually passed on Harrison and Stone twice as both were selected after Lacy), but a last second change saw Schultz getting the call due to perceived need -- a rookie mistake not to be made again.
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— Mumbai!!!
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”