GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Sai in the Cali Sky; Grabbing the Bull 2040.7

Post by shoeless.db » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am

Sai in the Cali Sky
a blog by Sai "Young" Ahuji

Opportunity. Trust. Calm. These are the words associated with the most asked question of the off-season -- who will be playing left field for the Crusaders this season? It's a topic Aarav and I covered in several episodes of Popes Playing Pepper (here and a little here). It's been the angst of many Crusader fans' Twitter rants and Reddit posts. What will the Crusader brass do? Will they fill via free agency? Will they make a trade? In the end, it looks as though General Manager Shoeless and Crusader manager, Alberto Franco, will entrust the position to an in-house candidate.

Júlio Medina

In the summer of 2034, the Crusaders selected a little known prospect out of San Salvador with their 5th round selection (150th overall) -- Júlio Medina. As with most 5th round selections, the hope was Medina would over-perform his draft status and become a viable piece for the organization. But, even if he failed to make a run for the big club in Sacramento, the top brass felt his good leadership skills and humble personality would benefit the organization in other ways. Through six minor league seasons, Medina has shown his worth both on the field, sporting a career minor league slash-line of .296/.370/.528 in 2905 plate appearances, and off the field where he's proven himself as a team leader and a model of consistency for his teammates.

With the onset of the 2040 Spring Training, Medina knew his chance to showcase his solid play on the big stage arrived. "When life opens a gate and opportunity comes running out, you better grab that thing by the horns and make it yours," Medina said. "I spent six years working my tail off in the minors, making every opportunity count -- every practice, every at-bat, every conversation with the coaches. I'm here to be who I've grown to become."

Through the first two weeks of spring training, Medina grasped hard at the opportunity presented, leading the team with a .367 batting average over his first 30 at bats, including a home run and four doubles. The fast start places the left-hand-hitting Medina in prime position to leave for Sacramento with his name penciled in for the lion's share of the at-bats in left-field.

"We put a lot of trust in the guys we already had in our organization to fill this spot," said Manager Alberto Franco. "I hope this signals to all the other guys putting in long days in the minors and even longer nights on those bus rides, we trust in them and the progress they're making."

Every spring is filled with excitement and hope for BBA ballclubs. After being named the front runner to win the Pacific division in a recent predictions segment, it could be assumed pressure would be added to those emotions, especially for youngsters like Medina getting their first taste of the big leagues. But, according to team captain and Crusader catcher, Chip Saunders, the 23-year-old rookie's demeanor fits well with the make-up of the club.

"I know it's cliche', but we do have a real California calm about this team," said Saunders. "Júlio (Medina) carries himself with such a focused, confident attitude. It puts an already relaxed group of guys at ease over the prospect of this season."

When asked about the left field situation, Saunders gave a hint of a smile and said, "You know, things have a way of working themselves out. We'll be fine."
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Sai in the Cali Sky; Grabbing the Bull 2040.7

Post by HoosierVic » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:05 pm

This is ... calm. Reasoned. Professional.

What have you done with Sai?!?

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: Sai in the Cali Sky; Grabbing the Bull 2040.7

Post by bschr682 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Is he funky?
GM Vancouver Mounties

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”