The Pris is Right; Cali 2039.9

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

shoeless.db
BBA GM

The Pris is Right; Cali 2039.9

Post by shoeless.db » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:38 pm

The following is a blog piece written by shortstop prospect, Daryl Pris. This season, the switch-hitting Pris is slashing .291/.360/.502 with seven homers and a 2.4 WAR (proj. 7.0) for the AAA Clash City Rockers.

An' I want to move the town to the Clash city rockers
You need a little jump of electrical shockers
You better leave town if you only want to knock us
Nothing stands the pressure of the Clash city rockers

You see the rate they come down the escalator
Now listen to the tube train accelerator
Then you realize that you got to have a purpose
Or this place is gonna knock you out sooner or later

So don't complain about your useless employment
Jack it in forever tonight
Or shut your mouth and pretend you enjoy it
Think of all the money you've got

These lyrics are from the first part of the song, Clash City Rockers, by The Clash. Listening to this song keeps me motivated when I try to get comfortable traveling from city to city on our damn bus. I spent most of last season on the Clash City squad and didn't quite have the season I'd hoped, but I still spent a lot of time hoping I'd be called up to the big club in Sacramento by this time. I guess, the brass still wants me to season up a bit.

I feel like I'm ready. Hell, you shouldn't be playing minor league ball unless you feel like you're ready. Maybe you wouldn't feel quite ready as a Rookie League guy fresh off of sneaking your hand up your cute, little high school girlfriend's shirt, but everyone else better feel ready. It's been a long journey getting here. I've realized I have a purpose, and I'm not going to let this place knock me out just yet.

Three things I've learned about baseball this week:
  • Baseball doesn't care about my feelings -- I'm three for my last 26. I even went hitless in six at bats against the frickin' Los Cabos Corsairs yesterday. I have to say I was feeling pretty damn good about myself before these last five games as I was comfortably over .300 for the year. Plus, I knew California was in need of a shortstop due to some injuries, specifically to Max Hatcher. I half expected to be called into manager, Gerald Taylor's, office at any moment for my call-up, but baseball doesn't care what I think. It shoved a slump up my ignorant ass to temper my pride.
  • Change in management makes everyone nervous -- When General Manager Shoeless took over operations during spring training this year, everyone down to the guy selling hot dogs at the stadium became anxious about where they'd be employed in the coming months. We really haven't seen many changes yet. Hell, Shoeless even resigned two of the golden arms to extensions up on the Crusaders, Ramos and Gracia. Unfortunately, all those nervous feelings are resurfacing as we watch the current draft unfold. Shoeless looks to be going more athletic, and that doesn't bode well for guys like Bobby 'Lil Shamrock' Hart. Hart spent half the last bus ride doing some strange workout with a sledgehammer he called Shovelglove, hoping it would make him stronger and faster.
  • Roommates can become stars overnight -- Last year at this time, I was beating up on David Simpson in our daily games of Settlers of Catan with the guys. Now he's batting third for the big club and hardly has time to Snapchat me pictures of the giant food spread they get before and after games. And the women -- that dude couldn't even ask a girl if he could buy her a drink at one of the dive bars next any of the hotels we stayed. Now, he's got so many of them just throwing themselves at him. That poor bastard. Good for him for knocking it dead in the BBA so far, though. He's hovering around .300 for the year and has already touched up big league pitching for 12 homers. Always nice to see a guy who plays the game the right way get rewarded under the bright lights.
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: The Pris is Right; Cali 2039.9

Post by jleddy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Wow, I haven't heard shovelglove get thrown around in like 10 years.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: The Pris is Right; Cali 2039.9

Post by RonCo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Daryl is one of my custom ammies. Hope he comes through okay.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”