California 2038.9 - Crusaders GM Apologizes to League/Talks About Recent Transactions.

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

Ted
Ex-GM

California 2038.9 - Crusaders GM Apologizes to League/Talks About Recent Transactions.

Post by Ted » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Well, looks like I'm sticking around. I can't even stay off the boards for two days or resist any kind of discussion of fake baseball players, so it looks like this is a part of my life I enjoy. I'm sorry for letting my passion for what I consider an important issue spill over into anger and mistreatment of other people. That was wrong, and I am sorry for it. Feel free to bust my chops as much as you want, and feel free to point out any time I'm being a jerk. I'll try to do better.

California has made some moves recently. There are also some big developments in Crusaders franchise history. We recently traded for Po-sin Shi to fill our CF vacancy that resulted from Bryan Robson's injury. We like having elite defensive CF's in California, and the lack of defensive prowess of our corner outfielders makes that even more imperative. Interestingly, Shi looks a lot like Robson in terms of hit profile. Perhaps a better hitter, but maybe not quite as good defensively.

The main issue with Shi is that he is a bit underdeveloped offensively. Scouts feel he could refine his plate discipline a tad, and has some power left to grow into. In an ideal world, we'd stick him in AAA for the rest of this year and take another look at him next spring. However, Robson's injury left us without a good defensive option in center. The plan was already to look for a new centerfield. After not being able to get on in IFA or the draft, this type of move was inevitable. We were okay with Robson for another year or two, but center field is a young man's game. There some better right now options offered in trades, but I think Shi gives us the most value long term.

One of the players traded away is Nico Eijpe. Eijpe was also destined to be on a new team next year. Robson's injury and Luis Lucero's development made him available to trade now. Eijpe has been a quietly good player the last few years, after a slow start when he was a big leaguer at the ages of 19 and 20. He has some team control left, but for a team that is up against the cap with some extension issues looming, any salary that can be cut and replaced with a similarly valued player is worth moving.

Also going to Brooklyn are recently drafted starting pitching prospects Félix Rodríguez and Ricardo Galindo. Rodriguez was the Crusaders second round pick and Galindo was taken in the 5th. Both are raw, but have solid starting pitcher upside with no obvious red flags. Also going to the Robins was Carlos Ramírez, who looks like a solid, if unspectacular bullpen arm. He's been struggling with walking people, but has otherwise developed well.

The other news is that both Ricardo Diaz and Cris Vazquez have announced that they will retire after the season. Diaz is the greatest pitcher in franchise history and probably a top ten pitcher in BBA history. Vazquez was a key middle of the order threat during his prime and has been a fan favorite throughout his career. His 446 home runs are second in Crusaders history. The team plans some sort of honor for the pair, but is unsure what form that will take. We do ask that our division rivals please try to be at least 1.5 games behind us on the last day of the season so we can give Ricardo Diaz the start.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

bigmike13
Ex-GM

Re: California 2038.9 - Crusaders GM Apologizes to League/Talks About Recent Transactions.

Post by bigmike13 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Glad to see you're hanging around.
Mike Calvaruso
San Antonio Outlaws 2030 -
Birmingham Bandits 2006-2029

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: California 2038.9 - Crusaders GM Apologizes to League/Talks About Recent Transactions.

Post by ae37jr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Ted wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm
Also going to the Robins was Carlos Ramírez, who looks like a solid, if unspectacular bullpen arm. He's been struggling with walking people, but has otherwise developed well.
Not going to lie...I cursed you out for a second when I realized that Ramirez was not only on the 40 man roster, but in his last option year. I guess that's what I get for assuming an under developed 20 year old RP was not even rule 5 eligible for a few years. All is forgiven seeing as your not quitting now.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm very happy to see you stick around.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:01 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 pm
Ted wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm
Also going to the Robins was Carlos Ramírez, who looks like a solid, if unspectacular bullpen arm. He's been struggling with walking people, but has otherwise developed well.
Not going to lie...I cursed you out for a second when I realized that Ramirez was not only on the 40 man roster, but in his last option year. I guess that's what I get for assuming an under developed 20 year old RP was not even rule 5 eligible for a few years. All is forgiven seeing as your not quitting now.
You know, I didn't think about this at all. I forgot to even look when I offered him. I was considering him a typical prospect, and forgot he was on the 40 man. As such, I'm not really happy with the trade. Wouldn't have put him in the list of "other guys" for you to pick from if I'd thought about it. I'll take a look later and we can work something out.
Ted Schmidt

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:07 pm

Ted wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:01 pm
You know, I didn't think about this at all. I forgot to even look when I offered him. I was considering him a typical prospect, and forgot he was on the 40 man. As such, I'm not really happy with the trade. Wouldn't have put him in the list of "other guys" for you to pick from if I'd thought about it. I'll take a look later and we can work something out.
I don't want anything. That's all on me. I should be doing due dillegence. He was essentially the throw in and he'll probably(sadly) be good enough to pitch in my pen next year.
Alan Ehlers

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:10 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:07 pm
Ted wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:01 pm
I don't want anything. That's all on me. I should be doing due dillegence. He was essentially the throw in and he'll probably(sadly) be good enough to pitch in my pen next year.
I sent you a PM. While I get the due diligence on your part, I also didn't do my own work. I wasn't aware of his roster status when I offered him. We both a have a responsibility here. I misrepresented him. Perhaps not intentionally, but I still did. Check the PM.
Ted Schmidt

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm totally fine with the deal. Rodriguez and Galindo and to a lesser extent Eijpe(to flip or help me stay respectable) made the deal for me. Ramirez was just trying to squeeze extra from your glorious pile. I view him more as a lottery pick then a future piece. And I don't think you did it purposely. There was just that one second when I was trying to drag him into A-ball and the game kept popping up a window and I was like wtf is this? lol
Alan Ehlers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”