Crusaders News! 2038.1 - Hello Miguel Anders!

GM: Doug Olmsted

Moderator: shoeless.db

Ted
Ex-GM

Crusaders News! 2038.1 - Hello Miguel Anders!

Post by Ted » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 pm

It's a Good Day
Novermber 7th, 2037
Offen Sichtlich der Kunstgriff

Good day, Crusaders Fans! Can you say "good day" as a greeting? Hmm .. I always think of it in terms of a heated farewell statement. "Good day, sir!" Well ... that's not what I mean at all. I was going to say good morning, but it's not really morning here. And I don't know if when you'll be reading this, so I skipped "good afternoon" and wen't to "good day". I don't know ....

But it IS a good day! Our Crusaders traded for a pitcher! Miguel Andres from Brooklyn! This is great for so many reasons. First, with the trade of Knud Zeilter to Nashville last year, we were getting short on young starting pitching talent. Cisco Morales, Luis Gracia, and Jaime Mercado average over 29 years old. Miguel Ramos is already 26! Wow .... time flies. Another reason this is good is I don't have to wonder what we were talking about with Brooklyn anymore!

So let's look at our newest Crusader! Andres is a lefty who will be 23 this next season. He has two electric pitches in his fastball and splitter. The fastball hits 100 mph with ease, and the splitter is a really deceptive offering that generates tons of swings and misses. Now ... I know what you're thinking. "Offie, good starters need three pitches". Ahem ... Andres actually has a circle change that is supposedly tremendous, but he lacks consistency with it. I got ahold of our scouting reports on Andres, and they seem to think Andres can develop into a front of the rotation starter. Umm .. the scouts think that. Not the reports. Reports are inanimate. Anyway .. that's pretty neat! Of course, his 4.33 career ERA, and a 5.37 mark last year is a bit concerning. His FIP- is 87 though, so that's reassuring. I also have heard he's made some progress with his change in the last year or so.

The other red flag on Andres is his ... well.. maybe his attitude. It seems like here's some thought that he's just not that interested, or not much of a team guy. Well, I'm sure that will change here with the Crusaders! Such good coaching. He'll get to learn from Gabriel Campos and Ricardo Diaz! How can that not get you interesting in pitching!

Oh ... GM Ted Schmidt had this to say, "We like what we see with Andres think he has another gear he hasn't reached yet. Young starters like him do not become available very often. While we gave up a number of good prospects, we think the price was justified."

So ... regarding those prospects, we sent Jose Gallegos, Miguel Ayala, Santiago Carranza, and Jose Garcia. Well, I think even an Offie can see the reasoning here. Our Crusaders had seven first basemen and DH who projected as big leagues in the organization who were under the age of 25. That's at least four more than you can fit on a roster. I do like Jose Gallegos. Good lefty bat, hits for average and power, no real weaknesses, AND he can run, which is cool and different for a 1B, but he's only 18 and there are other options. I'm a bit sad to see Jose Garcia go. He's in his seventh year in the minors and after looking to be stuck at AAA, he seems to have found a new level. You always root for those guys who stick it out. Well ... I can still root for him with the Robins. Go Jose!

Now to the pitchers. Miguel Ayala is a really nice prospect. 19, five good pitches and no real flaws. Seems to be someone who won't struggle with the long ball. But he is 19, and Andres is ready now. Santiago Carranza is a more fringey type. Good pitches, but only mediocre command and control. He could end up as a big leaguer, or might not.

Wooh. I don't know. Those are a lot of good parts to give up for one player. I'll have to say I am now an Offie who is a bit concerned. I hope Andres works out. If he does, this is a great consolidation trade. If not .... You know what? Let's not think about that. Let's look at the positive! Good Day, Crusaders fans!
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”