Moderator: shoeless.db

Ted
Ex-GM

Crusaders News! 2037.2 - It's Okay, You Can Call it a Comback

Post by Ted » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Where Has Offie Been?
October 22nd, 2037
Offen Sichtlich der Kunstgriff

Okay, so I wasn't going to expound on my absence, as I figured you'd all rather hear about your Crusaders than hear of the wanderings of your once and future Crusaders blogger. But wow! So many questions. I'm beyond flattered. Overwhelmed. You missed me! Well I missed you, too. (Not you user "Offiesucks1116". Your comments about my genital hygiene are both not appreciated and unnecessary.) You see, before the season, GM Ted Schmidt came to me and said, "The organization would like you to take on a different, but similar role." They asked me head to Baghdad to get the ball rolling with the Kings fanbase going. Schmidt had just taken on the post of interim GM for the Kings in the fledgling UMEBA. I suppose Schmidt felt my enthusiasm for all things Crusaders would translate well to getting fans, perhaps not that familiar with baseball, fired up. Well, okay, maybe "came to me" is an exaggeration. I received an email. Also, it didn't really ask much .... more like ... it was brief. "You and your blog have been reassigned Baghdad."

Still, I feel that Schmidt probably though my talent for sharing the joy baseball brings me would play well in a new market. At least, I'd like to think so. That was a rather short note, given on short notice. Perhaps Schmidt is a man of few words. Succinct. To the point. I'll admit, we have spoken very little over the years. That must be the case.

The team also didn't really help me with the move much. I had to pay my way and find a place to live. A brilliant plan, I think in hindsight. At the time, it seemed rather ... um ... well, half baked ... perhaps poorly planned? I'll be honest, I felt a bit brushed aside. But now I get it! Sending me to a foreign country with no notice or budget really forced me to immerse myself in an alien culture. What a ingenious way to teach me how to connect with a new fanbase!

Okay, so Crusaders news. Um .. I know that you all asked where I was ... and I have answered that, but this isn't Crusaders Newsy enough of a post for me. So let's look at the upcoming offseason. The good news is, most of the team will be back for 2038. In fact, the only regular who isn't returning is Jesus Flores. Veteran utility man Owen Stark also looks to not be returning. Stark was tremendous as a right handed platoon bat in 2036, putting up 1.1 WAR in 239 PA's over 82 games. 2037 .. well .. not so much. Negative zero point six WAR. He lost his job down the stretch to rookie Dan Reed, who will likely take over as the primary right handed third base option going forward, and spell starters at other infield positions at time.

As far as Flores goes, his time in California has been a mixed bag. After coming over from San Fernando with Rien van der Heyden for Ernie Kinney and Manuel Pena, Flores was looked at as an exciting, potential star player. He looked to be a well above average contact and power hitter, with an out of this world glove at short. And Flores did give our Crusaders two four win seasons, and a total of 13 WAR over five seasons. Still he showed a weakness for chasing breaking stuff, as his eye regressed almost immediately upon putting on a Crusaders uniform. His hitting ability never really developed wither, and seems to have regressed this last year. Flores has a career wRC+ of 88, which while perfectly acceptable for a great fielding shortstop, is not what was expected of him as a prospect.

Regarding that fielding, Flores has been inconsistent. He won a Zimmer with a 13.1 ZR in 2035, and might get another with a 12.6 this year, but also has three seasons in the 3-4 range, just above average. What I hear from the font office is that the Crusaders would love to have Flores back, but he's been asking for 15-17 million. After a 1.5 WAR season (preceded by two 4+ win years that didn't really look sustainable) the crusaders don't feel comfortable spending that kind of money long term.

Look .. I wish "Bun Bun" the best .. but yeah. That's nuts. I mean .. I kind of get it after the couple gerat years in 2035 and 2036, even when scouts and front office people were doubting his ability to maintain that level of play, but after being a below average regular this year? And not budging on his demands? Well ... umm ... you all know I don't like being critical ... Let's just all wish Jesus good luck in free agency. Until next time, go Crusaders! Go Crusaders fans! I'm thrilled to be back!
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Return to “Sacramento Mad Popes”