Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2059.02 YS9 Officially Retire #8 Jersey

Post by Trebro » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 pm

ys9 press release.png
YS9 Officially Retire #8 Jersey

The Yellow Springs Nine Issued the Following Press Release:

Today, the Yellow Springs Nine and Dong-Po Thum announce a major change for the team: After 20 years with the team, Mr. Thum, known as "Hunter" to his friends, has officially retired.

In honor of this momentous occasion, owner Bo Jordan and GM Rob McMonigal are also announcing the retirement of Thum's iconic Number 8, which will be permanently removed from use by the team, except for when Mr. Thum wishes to don it for special occasions.

"I am so very happy that I was able to play my entire career in one city," said Thum, "especially one that is so near to the wilderness in nearby states, so that I can go out into the woods and farmlands and shoot game. My only regret is that we were never able to bring a Championship to this amazing city during my time here."

"I can't say enough about Hunter as both a person and a professional," said Jordan. "He's done so much for us, including keeping his chin up as the team experienced recent struggles. While we may not have been a winner recently, Thum was always a champion. I can't wait to see that big #8 alongside our other top players. It's a pretty exclusive club."

Thum's #8 joins Lucas McNeil's #31 (retired in 2044) and Carlos Valle's #28 (retired in 2053) as the only numbers the Nine have taken out of circulation.

"When I joined the Nine, everyone told me Thum would be such a big piece of my life," said McMonigal. "I had no idea how true that was going to be. I'm sorry we couldn't get him back into the playoffs one final time, but that wasn't for lack of Hunter trying his best. He gave his all, and I'm just happy he will be a part of our organization for a long time to come."

Thum will be serving as the hitting coach for the Silver Springs Tarpons starting with the 2059 season.

Over his career, Thum amassed 3484 hits, 837 stolen bases, 262 home runs, a .302 batting average and a total WAR of 103.4. He is a near-certain lock for the BBA Hall of Fame.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”