GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2059.01 A Thum-ble Ending

Post by Trebro » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:12 pm

A Thum-ble Ending

September 27, 2058

GM Rob McMonigal had accompanied the team on this season-ending, disappointing road trip, watching as Twin Cities swept the team in four games, putting a fitting cap on a season that just never got going after starting with controversy and being filled with having to opt for fallback positions, all while watching certain players like Pak, Turkes, and Rogers take significant steps back.

The 3-2 loss was indicative of things. They'd played well but just couldn't make it work.

Now it was time to review and hopefully retool. There was a lot of work to be done and a lot of it hinged on certain players getting better. These were his draft picks, after all, his trade choices. If they didn't start working, well, Bo might be ready to try for another GM with an R name.

As he made his way from the box Alan allocated to the other team's staff, which was one of the better ones in the league, he knew that the first thing he had to do was have a personal talk with Dong-Po Thum. There would be no repeats of last year.

McMonigal entered the quiet, subdued locker room. He saw the frustration in the faces of so many who'd tried but faded as time went on, like Tristan Colenutt. He saw the fear of players like Micah Murphy, who tried so hard but was unlikely to be anything other than a AAAA player and whose dream might be over soon. He saw the disgust of veterans like Dave Lee, who saw with clarity that another playoff run – and maybe even that 200th win – were just not in the cards.

Then he looked over at Hunter, who nodded.

"Let's talk," said the 20-year old veteran.

McMonigal walked behind Thum, as they passed the training/recovery rooms and into one of the private offices. It was a little cramped, but functional. Thum took a seat in an ergonomic chair, allowing his limbs to go limp. McMonigal moved behind the small desk. He struggled into the seat. Ergonomics were never his thing.

"Thanks for coming down to see us, Mac," said Thum. "You did a much better job of being involved this year. Hell, you even got Manny [Collazo] recognition for his 400th homer, even though he's just passing through. Dave and I noticed that."

"I'm trying. Just like I'm trying to make this team better."

"I know. It's been a rough last few years, Mac. I don't like losing."

"Neither do I. I really thought 2056 meant we were turning a corner."

"Ah, yes. 'Suck it,'" if I recall."

McMonigal grimaced. He was never going to give that down.

"You had a good day, today, Hunter," said McMonigal, changing the subject. "A solid hit, a stolen base, and scored."

"Yup. Still wasn't enough, but it felt good to contribute. That's how this year felt, really. A way to give back one final time."

McMonigal raised an eyebrow. "Final?"

"I'm done, Mac. That stolen base nearly took everything out of me. It was like my whole second half – just struggling to keep it up and not finish looking horrible. That's why I had to come back again this year. Well, I got almost everything I wanted. 3500 hits would have been nice, but at what cost? I've got a career average over .300. I want to keep it that way."

"Are you sure, Hunter?" asked McMonigal.

"I am."

"We'll handle this right. Your jersey is getting retired. You're going into our Hall. And when they put you in the BBA one, we'll celebrate that, too."

"I appreciate that, Mac."

"Now, let's talk about your future. What do you want to do now?"

"Well, I expect I'll spend a lot of this off-season hunting. Now that I don't have to keep in shape, I'll have more time to add some different game to my routine and be willing to risk an injury. I never did bag me a gator yet."

"I was thinking more in terms of your future with us."

Thum paused for a moment.

"Well, it's no surprise that teams have been asking me to come coach for them. I got a nice offer from New Orleans but I turned them down. Nashville tried to leverage that All-Star appearance into something, but I said no thanks. I couldn't do that to the fans here, no matter how much he wanted to pay me. Ron didn't approach me, because he knew. My heart is here in Yellow Springs. There's only one place I'd want to coach."

"As long as you desire it, there'lll always be a place for you with the Nine," said McMonigal. "How would you feel about helping us make a run at the Liberty?"

"I'm all ears, Mac."

McMonigal smiled. Maybe this off-season would be better, after all.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: 2059.01 A Thum-ble Ending

Post by Lane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:13 pm

right where he belongs
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 pm

Great job.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 pm

Nice!

HOF'er.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 pm

Jwalk100 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 pm
Nice!

HOF'er.
damn right
Rob McMonigal

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 pm

RonCo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 pm
Great job.
Thank you. I am really proud of how this worked out and how it fit with the story I'm telling. This is one of my favorite TN I've done so far.
Rob McMonigal

RT60
BBA GM

Post by RT60 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 pm

it's cool that two Heartland HOFers are getting the jobs they deserve this off-season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”