Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2058.27 Bin Sa'eed You Later: Nine Lose Outfielder to San Fenando

Post by Trebro » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:14 am

Bin Sa'eed You Later: Nine Lose Outfielder to San Fenando

by Valerie Davies, for the Yellow Springs World
September 3rd, 2058

As was widely expected when the news was announced that the Yellow Springs Nine had waived outfielder Fareed bin Sa'eed, the player was claimed by multiple clubs and ultimately landed on the roster of borderline playoff contender San Fernando. The Bears took priority over the other claimants, which included the Charm City Jimmies, GM Rob McMonigal's recent trade partner.

Bin Sa'eed, just 25 years old, was originally a Rule 5 draft pick claim by the Nine in the 2055 draft. He was selected out of Jacksonville, where he had been an international free agent signing. Ranked 64th overall by the ever-unreliable BBA Scouting Service at the time, McMonigal clearly saw something he liked and pounced.

Unfortunately, whether it was coming to the majors so soon or just a mistake, the outfielder never managed to develop any bat at all. He hit .189 in 2056, .221 in 2057, and was hitting just .178 when McMonigal opted not to send him back down to Indianapolis and instead give other teams the chance to claim him.

"I realize this may be a bit controversial because of his glove skills at all three outfield positions," said McMonigal when I asked him about the decision to cut bait instead of holding bin Sa'eed in the minors. For the record, he has so far compiled a 2.4 career ZR in CF, for example. "But he is absolutely ineffectual with the bat. A career .197 average with no signs of improvement just wasn't going to make it into 2059. With no trade partners in hand, we decided to give him a chance elsewhere."

It's clearly the glove that intrigues the Bears, but after a .200 batting average in AAA with none of the power he flashed in the lower minors, this might just be a temporary stop before he returns to Egypt or tries his hand at a new career.

"I wish him the best of luck," said McMonigal. "He's a very modest guy and one that we could no longer afford to keep playing as a guaranteed out."

I reached out to San Fernando and also Mr. bin Sa'eed, but neither returned comment.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”