Trebro
BBA GM

2058.21 YS9 Sign Three Free Agents

Post by Trebro » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:38 pm

ys9 press release.png
YS9 Sign Three Free Agents

March 18, 2058

The Yellow Springs Nine issued the following press release:

The Yellow Springs Nine are proud to announce the signing of three free agents to bolster their lineup and rotation in preparation for the 2058 season. They are:

1B/DH Don Simpson
3B Don Perez
SP Cheslav Evgrafov

Simpson needs no introduction, having been a terror to pitchers everywhere since 2039. Most recently of Twin Cities, where he batted .299 with 29 home runs and 99 runs batted in, with a WAR of 3.7. Known for his leadership skills, the 40 year old has 635 career home runs and a planned ticket to the BBA Hall of Fame. He's signed to a one year, 6.5 million dollar deal.

"I'm so happy to sign with a storied franchise like Yellow Springs and play alongside such greats as Dong-Po Thum and Dave Lee," said Simpson after the contract was finalized. "They've had it rough here for a few years now. I really want to help them win again."

Perez comes in to solidify the third base position, signed to a 2 year contract at 8 million per year. The second year is an option, with a 2 million dollar buyout. At age 37, he can still play well at the hot corner, with a ZR of .6, efficiency of over 1.000 and .948 fielding percentage. He also hit .311 with a league leading 14 triples and OPS of .861. His WAR in 2057 with Phoenix was 4.3.

"I just had my best year ever," said Perez, "and it really sucked waiting this long to sign a contract with someone. When McMonigal came calling, I was all ears, though it took us awhile to work out the details. He's tough but fair. I can't wait to show the fans of Yellow Springs what I can bring to the team over the course of a full season."

Evgrafov is an eight year veteran of the BBA, starting his career with Montreal and most recently spending time as member of Portland's starting rotation. He has a 5-pitch arsenal led by his fastball/forkball/screwball combo and pinpoint control. His 3.4 WAR in 2057 was a career best. The right handed starter signed for 1 year and 3.5 million.

"McMonigal offered me the most money. That's why I'm here," said the newest member of the rotation.

"While we like the players we have, any chance I get to work on making the team stronger, I am going to take," said McMonigal. "We needed a power bat, and we got one in Simpson, without spending too much d'oh, I mean dough. Abernathy's not a natural at third, so we picked up Perez while we wait for some of the minor league players to advance. And you can never, ever have enough starting pitching. Between injuries and struggles, you're going to need it. I like what Cheslav brings to the table for us."

All three players will get limited spring training time and have all reported immediately to the club's spring facilities.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 2059.21 YS9 Sign Three Free Agents

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 pm

Curious to see if Evgrafov gets reliever converted by shoeless.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:02 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 pm
I was considering it myself, but he was just so woefully bad for me that I had no plans to re-sign him. His BABIP for the Popes is insanely low, so I think his numbers will come back down a bit. I think he'll be back on the market and will take a Feb or March deal personally.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:22 pm

Trebro wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:02 pm
BaseClogger wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 pm
I was considering it myself, but he was just so woefully bad for me that I had no plans to re-sign him. His BABIP for the Popes is insanely low, so I think his numbers will come back down a bit. I think he'll be back on the market and will take a Feb or March deal personally.
Just signed a five year extension with the Popes. Although the length is probably a cash play like Twin Cities has been doing.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”