Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2058.19 Yellow Springs Nine Announce Coaching Promotions

Post by Trebro » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:12 pm

ys9 press release.png
Yellow Springs Nine Announce Coaching Promotions

The Yellow Springs Nine issued the following press release:

The Yellow Springs Nine are pleased to announce that three of its best managers in the system are getting promotions going into the 2058 season.

Jin-oon An will be stepping in as the new Manager of the Indianapolis Downforce, following the retirement of Armando Melendez, who opted not to return as the manager after being a big part of the team's resurgence. An, hired in 2053 to manage the Nine's AA team, was 369-311 in the role, finishing under .500 only once despite some admitted talent shortages by GM Rob McMonigal. The team never made the playoffs under An but were almost always a winning team.

"We love what An's done so far as a member of the Nine," said McMonigal. "He's a former pitching coach, and his eye for the game is stellar. I can't wait to see him provide the finishing touches to our promising minor league talent who keep winning games as well as ensuring we have some solid backups in place."

An, as is his standard position, had no comment.

Replacing An at AA Santa Cruz will be Michael O'Neil, formerly of the Nine's A-ball team. O'Neil, also hired in 2053, struggled a bit for the first few years as the Tarpons lost 172 games in his first two seasons. But after leveling things at 70-70 in 2055, he's had two straight playoff appearances and a division title.

"I've spoken before about how much I like Mike," said McMonigal. He's done an amazing, some might say legendary job developing players. I could name multiple players who probably would have hung it up if not for O'Neil. AA is a tough assignment but I'm confident he can handle the job.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge," said O'Neil. "It's time for the Spartans to take the fight to the rest of the league and get into the AA pennant race or die trying."

This of course requires another manager for the A level Silver Springs squad, and the Nine have promoted 2-time YS9 Coach of the Year Huibert Staps to take over the Tarpons. Staps, who has managed the Short A Cat Island Pirates since 2046, going to the playoffs 3 times in that span, won the award established by owner Bo Jordan and the GM in the 2052-53 off-season in 2055 and 2057, both playoff years.

"I can't take credit for Staps, that's all on @RonCo Ron Collins for finding him and to Bo for letting me keep giving him raises," said McMonigal with a laugh. "Seriously, though, Staps is amazing at working in the minors and I almost didn't move him up because of how good he is with kids who can barely drink legally in a bar. But after looking at how good he is, from teaching hitting to going over pitch selection, I just couldn't say no after he asked me about moving forward in the organization."

"I have enjoyed my time at Cat Island," said Staps, but I'm ready to move forward. It's time to show the @jiminyhopkins Phoenix organization they aren't the only team that can win Single A Championships."
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Re: 2058.19 Yellow Springs Nine Announce Coaching Promotions

Post by jiminyhopkins » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:01 pm

Challenge accepted!
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”