2058.11 The Investigation Part 3 (An Awkward Reunion)

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2058.11 The Investigation Part 3 (An Awkward Reunion)

Post by Trebro » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

The Investigation Part 3 (An Awkward Reunion)

GM Rob McMonigal made sure his new office door, which had extra layers of soundproofing as well as some steel reinforcement this time, was soundly shut before he walked over to his desk and picked up the landline phone instead of his cell.

No way did he want this freak getting direct access.

McMonigal checked the clock to see what time it was. Just shy of 5am. He'd barely slept all night, worrying about this call. But if he caught the monster now, early in the morning, it was less likely that he'd already been to the pub and started his routine of drinking and thinking up insults.

"Okay," said McMonigal to himself, the sun not even yet thinking about popping up on the horizon, "time to do this." He pulled out a small book of contacts emblazoned with the old London Monarchs logo, from his days in the GBC, thumbing his way down until he reached the one he was looking for. It was on its own page, with lots of doodles showing the person in question being horribly maimed, shot, hung, dismembered, and in one really creative moment, eaten alive by fire ants.

I really hate this guy.. But he's the only one I can trust, ironically enough.

McMonigal punched in the digits, lingering almost long enough on the last number to make the line go dead. The phone rang once, twice, three times, and kept going until the ninth ring. McMonigal was about to hang up when he heard the distinctive voice.

"Hello, Niles Standish here! Did you see what I did there with the rings? How are you, McMonigal, you old so and so! It's been far too long! I've been thinking about you for years now." The last sentence was said with a sultry undertone that made McMonigal extremely uncomfortable. Not because of the flirting, but because Standish was a madman. He'd sooner sleep with a Loserville groupie.

Shuddering, McMonigal replied, "I'm doing well, Niles. Glad to know I haven't been forgotten."

"Oh no, not at all! We keep placing bets here on how long it will be before you end up back in London again. I swear on a few occasions, I've seen your doppelganger around the offices. You're not cheating on Yellow Springs, are you, you naughty naughty boy!"

"I have a common face," said McMonigal, "and I don't have time for games."

"What a shame, I know plenty of games! Drafts, Darts, Domination. Lots of pointy things and ropes! It's great fun, wot wot."

"Can I count on you for help, or what?"

"Oh my dear boy, you can count on me for anything, but I'm rather surprised you'd come to me. Usually people only come for me."

This was a mistake.

"I'm desperate Niles. I need some help about the GBC minors and I'm hoping you can tell me the truth about the work my Assistant GM claims he does there."
"And just why would you ask me? The BBA has channels there."

"Because I don't trust what I've been told and I don't know who is in on the scam. Someone's been playing me hard, Niles."

"Oh dear me! And you want to team up! How exciting! What costumes should we wear? Is there a lot of leather involved? I have an extensive collection of leather…"

McMonigal heard closet doors opening and the rifling of clothing on the other end of the line.

"Niles! Focus!"

"Oh sorry. Got carried away there. My dear McMonigal, it sounds like you're in quite the pickle."

More noises came over on the line. McMonigal was pretty sure it was a clothes hanger.

"So I ask again, Robert. Why come to me?"

"Because you're an insane reporter who likes to use the truth to make people uncomfortable. You're weird, you're a letch, but you always tell the truth. And that's what I need right now."

"Fine fine." There was huffing and puffing and the sounds of a struggle. "So let's go Truth or Dare and I'll take Truth!"

"How well do you know the Chinese baseball league?"

"I'm passingly familiar. It's where the fellows for the GBC start out and also the last chance for players who should really be going back to college or doing anything other than going between cities some twenty thousand kilometers from their homes."

"Have you ever heard of Xi-tong Su-Tu? He claims to have worked there for several years doing odd jobs for the league and helping Chinese BBA players provide equipment and other needs."

"Su-Tu? Hmm. No. I know a lot about tutus, though. You'd look great in one. I bet I have something in your size.."

More noises.

"Niles. Focus!"

"Oh right. So this chap claims to be working there, and you smelled a kipper in the newsprint?"

"I should have."

"Well let me tell you, he's most definitely not someone associated with the GBC. I think you've been mislead, my boy. I'm genuinely sorry to hear it."

"Me, too," said McMonigal.

"I know just what would cheer you up! Fly on over here and we'll have a little party! Me in my leather, you in a fine red, black, and yellow tutu, all set in the company colors. We'll have an amazing time!"

"Goodbye, Niles."

"Cheerio!"

What a Crank.

Now for a second call, this time to Mike in Madison...
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 2058.11 The Investigation Part 3 (An Awkward Reunion)

Post by Jwalk100 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 pm

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (3.13 KiB) Viewed 138 times
ImageImageImageImageImage

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 2058.11 The Investigation Part 3 (An Awkward Reunion)

Post by Trebro » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:52 pm

I can't tell you how happy it made me bringing Niles back into the mix for a cameo. He is absolutely just a blatant swipe from Crank Yankers and brings me great joy to write in now and again.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”