2058.10 The Investigation Part 2: Poor Interviewing SKills

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2058.10 The Investigation Part 2: Poor Interviewing SKills

Post by Trebro » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:52 pm

The Investigation Part 2: Poor Interviewing Skills

It wasn't going to get any easier the longer he waited, so GM Rob McMonigal started diving in on Su-Tu's employee record.

First up was looking into his background. He already knew some items had been embellished, like the claim he worked for a year for the independent league Pittsburgh Pirates, who played with a lot of nostalgia and very little documentation. His business degree wasn't completely on the up and up, either. The internship was with Citigroup, but not the same one as in New York. It was an internet startup for a video game that never got out of development.

Now McMonigal had to check other facts.

"Let's start with his education."

Su-Tu listed that he graduated with honors from one of the few really old legacy schools left, New York University. But several searches and degree requests had come up empty. He'd attended classes there but never finished.

Then there was his family history. Su-Tu claimed to be a first generation American from China and that he had ties to the Chinese league associated with the GBC. But after speaking to a friend in the immigration department, it turns out Tu's family had lived in America, specifically upstate New York, going back to the turn of the century. He was still waiting on the full family tree.

Finding out whether he had GBC ties would require an unpleasant phone call. McMonigal wasn't ready for that just yet.

There was also the matter of some questions about his years of no BBA or GBC associated work, 2045 to 2046 and 2050 to 2054, when his resume went to the top of the stack for Assistant General Manager. Su-Tu claimed he had spent the first gap in time working in Brazil. But that was so long ago that it was almost impossible to figure out what all he had done there. In his interview, Su-Tu mentioned "theatre work" and noted he had jumped at the chance to get back to baseball because life near the Amazon was "a drag."

McMonigal pulled up the rest of his interview notes, looking at what he'd claimed to have done for the years after Madison canned him.

"Extensive work ensuring the smooth operations of the Chinese Baseball League."

Question: What kind of work?

Answer: Oh, you know. Stuff. Helping to arrange travel, campaigns to help sick animals of team members, PR work with the Party to keep things flowing smoothly. Whatever was needed, really. That's where I met Dong-Po. What a great guy!

Why oh why didn't I verify that with Thum? McMonigal thought. Oh yeah, because he was killing me with a thirty million dollar salary with additional bonuses and I couldn't bear to look at him. Damn it, what a stupid mistake to make.

Question: You know Hunter?"

Answer: I gave him the nickname!

Question: So how do you two collaborate?

Answer: Oh it's mostly monetary. He gives me money and I make sure it gets used to help those developing players get the equipment they need, stuff like that.

McMonigal knew now that was a lie. They'd never worked together. But because all workers in the front office have to disclose financial affairs for salary cap transparency, he could check on just what those transactions had been about.

He made a mental note to do just that, but first it was time to make those unpleasant calls...
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”