2058.05 The Calls, Part 3: Dong-po Thum

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2058.05 The Calls, Part 3: Dong-po Thum

Post by Trebro » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:04 pm

The Calls, Part 3: Dong-po Thum

McMonigal had no sooner realized that kicking the door was a really bad idea for his left foot than the phone started ringing again.

This time, the music was a lesser known tune from the only relatively recently retired Rolling Stones, making it clear who this caller was.

"Hunter," said McMonigal, still hobbling around on one foot. "How are you?"

"Not great, Rob, not great."

"I'm sorry. That's all I've got. We screwed up. I should never have listed to Xi-tong without confirming it with you."

Thum never said too much, but now he was even more quiet than usual. McMonigal thought maybe he'd hung up.

"Hunter? You still there?"

"You listed to who now?" It was barely over a whisper but each word was given emphasis.

"Our assistant General Manager. He said you two talk all the time about doing work in China to promote baseball, like ensuring the GBC minor leaguers don't have to keep re-using baseballs."

"Mac, I've never spoken to him. Not once."

This just keeps getting better and better, thought McMonigal.

"Ever?"

"I may be losing some of my range in the field, but not my memory. I've never seen him outside the team photos."

"Oh my God. Hunter, I'm so sorry. This is even worse than I thought."

"Yeah, Rob, it is. Look, I've tried to keep a relatively low profile on this team my whole career, going back to when I was the best player in the entire BBA, let alone the team. I kept to myself. I didn't make demands of Ron, I haven't made them of you. I could have used my influence to get so many things. Which includes having you sacked, by the way.

"But I didn't. No matter how horrible these past five years have been. And they've been pretty bad. I've tried to look past how you basically ignored me. I know my salary was high. But I earned that money. I earned the respect of my teammates. But apparently, I couldn't earn your time.

"I got 3,000 hits and no press release. I got 800 stolen bases. Zip. I took less money to stay and finish out my career here, you know. I gave up on a chance to win a Brewster because I wanted to be loyal to the team. Have YOU been loyal back?"

McMonigal said nothing.

"So now, after a horrendous year where you didn't give us the players to win, we get to the end of the season. I know you talked to other players. And yet you just assumed some flunky would talk to me? How the hell am I supposed to take that, McMonigal?"

"I'm sorry, Hunter."

"You should be. That's why I finally had to speak out. Retiring me without a phone call? Who does that? Oh right, YOU do."

Thum was completely right. About all of it.

"What can I do to make this right?" McMonigal asked.

"Get us back on track, man. Find a way to help us win again. I know we can't win the whole damned thing, but man, those fans are so loyal. They deserve the best. Give it to them. I'll do my part, too. I vow I'll be better next year. Will you?"

McMonigal paused.

"I'll do my best, Hunter. And I promise, no more taking you for granted. I want you to always be a part of the team, in whatever capacity you choose."

"I hope you'll live up to that, Mac."

"I hope so, too." McMonigal paused again. "Say, Hunter, Wardman was hinting he knew something bad about the team but wouldn't tell me what, naturally. Is there anything I need to know?"

"The only thing bad was our record."

"That's what I thought. Look, Hunter, I deserve the article that's coming from Valerie. But if Wardman tries to destroy me by smearing the team, I'm going to need your help. Can I count on you?"

"Can I count on you?"

Ouch.

"Don't answer that. That was low. I'm better than that. Just like we're better than Wardman. If you need me, I'll be there. Like I've always been for the Nine."

"Thank you, Hunter. I hope I don't have to ask."

"Me, too, McMonigal. Take care."

"You, too, Hunter. Enjoy muzzleloader season."

"I will."

With that, Thum hung up.

"Well, that was enlightening," McMonigal said to the fallen door. "Looks like I've got to do some digging about my soon to be ex-Assistant General Manager. But first…"

McMonigal picked up the phone again.

"Hello, maintenance? I have a slight issue with my door."

To be continued...
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2058.05 The Calls, Part 3: Dong-po Thum

Post by RonCo » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:19 pm

Assistant GMs...what you gonna do with them?

And, what's this about the Stones retiring? ha!
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 2058.05 The Calls, Part 3: Dong-po Thum

Post by Trebro » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:41 am

RonCo wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:19 pm
Assistant GMs...what you gonna do with them?

And, what's this about the Stones retiring? ha!
I debated long and hard about whether they should still be on tour but ended up going with recently retired. We ARE in 2058 after all.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”