2058.03 The Calls, Part 1: Valerie Davies

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2058.03 The Calls, Part 1: Valerie Davies

Post by Trebro » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:03 pm

The Calls, Part 1: Valerie Davies

GM Rob McMonigal knew this one was coming. He debated ignoring the incessant sound of the classic music group the Monkees' "Valerie" playing from its speakers,but that wouldn't help anything. He did let it go as far as he could, just a note before the end of the chorus.

"Hi Valerie," he said, trying to keep his tone neutral, though he was pretty sure that was as lost a cause as the 2057 season had been.

"Hey Rob," she replied. Her voice was kind. She needed details, but wasn't going to gloat. That would be Erwin's job. "I think you know why I am calling."

"I do."

"I'm working on an interview with Hunter, which he's giving to me exclusively. He's mad, Rob. He's really mad. But lucky for you, he despises the Journal too much to talk to them in detail."

"What's he told you?"

"That he's not retiring. Has no idea why that was promoted to the fans. Feels like it was an intention push on your part to get him out after a bad year."

"I can assure you, that's not what happened," said McMonigal.

In some ways, I wish that was what we'd tried to do, instead of just being sloppy.

"So what did, Rob?"

"I listed to bad advice," he said truthfully. "I was informed a conversation had occurred and that Hunter was done. Because we'd had such a bad year, I wanted to move quickly to recognize all he'd done for us. I moved too quickly. That's on me."

"Is Jordan going to fire you?"

"No."

"Are you going to resign?"

"Come on now, that's low."

McMonigal waited as Davies paused before continuing.

"Just doing my job. Getting answers."

McMonigal sighed. "I know. Look, on the record, I will say the following. First, we acknowledge our mistake. Second, the celebrations will go on as scheduled anyway and be a celebration of his career instead of a commemoration. And third, we'll be taking action to correct our internal processes to ensure this never happens again."

"What corrective actions are you taking?"

"I can't speak to internal decisions yet."

This time Davies sighed. "I had to try."

McMonigal hesitated. What he did or did not say next might significantly impact on his relationship with Valerie, his standing within the Nine, and his future career in the BBA.

"I want to go off the record," said McMonigal.

"Done."

"Valerie, you know as well as I do that the Thum everyone knows isn't the Thum I got to work with. Our relationship has never been great. This is just going to make things worse. It has the potential to ruin the entire 2058 season. I probably wanted Hunter to retire, so when Xi-tong offered to take the lead in the end of season interviews, I jumped on it. Now I'm paying for being a coward."

"I appreciate you sharing that with me," said Davies. McMonigal noticed her words were coming slowly, carefully. She was about to ask something he probably didn't want to answer.

"You've played fair since I got here. It's the least I can do."

"Can you do me a few other favors?"

"Like what?"

"Let me use what you said on background, I'll work to confirm with others."

"Fine, but if that gets back to me, you're burned. Permanently." For emphasis, McMonigal snapped his fingers.

"Done."

"What's the other favor?"

"Tell me if you're firing Xi-tong."

"I can't tell you that officially, but I think you can safely say that due to the circumstances, it is unlikely that all staff in the front office will retain their jobs, after McMonigal and Jordan review the misinformation. I'd also recommend you check his resume. We're auditing it now and there are some questionable items."

"That'll work. Oh, and I do have one more thing I wanted to bring up."

What in the world is it now?"

"I've heard some stories about some really, well, icky stuff going on in the clubhouse after hours this past year that may have contributed to the team playing poorly. Nothing substantial. I'm telling you this because if any of it's true, it's going to make this Thum thing look like a puff piece. If you know anything…"

"I have absolutely no idea what you could be implying, Valerie."

"That's your position?"

"I don't like your tone here. What do you know?"

"Just idle talk," said Davies. "But this is an extremely small town, Rob. You'd do best to remember that. People talk. For your sake, I hope what I heard isn't true."

"What did you –?"

But by then, the line was dead.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 2058.03 The Calls, Part 1: Valerie Davies

Post by Jwalk100 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:06 pm

Strippers?

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 185 times
ImageImageImageImageImage

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12 pm

Jwalk100 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:06 pm
Strippers?

Unknown-1.jpeg
Now now, that would be telling...
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:34 am

Strippers would just be throwback times to Genius and Shaw's Loserville days.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Krathan
BBA GM

Post by Krathan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:09 am

Good start. Looking forward to part 2.
Krathan (Nathan)
Cairo Pharaos GM 2055 (2055 GBC Champion)
Charlotte Cougars/Flyers GM Sept. 2055-??? (2058 JL Wildcard)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”