2057.12 Nes Lessman Takes the Downforce for a Test Drive Part 2: The 2056 Zeroes

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2057.12 Nes Lessman Takes the Downforce for a Test Drive Part 2: The 2056 Zeroes

Post by Trebro » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:30 pm

Nes Lessman Takes the Downforce for a Test Drive Part 2: The 2056 Zeroes

Editor's note: Our amazing, award-winning farm reporter, Nes Lessman, wrote some amazing work about the Yellow Springs Nine 2056 minor league seasons, the first in which the organization under GM Rob McMonigal reached that achievement. Unfortunately, they got lost in our offices until recently and are presented here for our readers to see just how good Lessman is at evaluating talent.

My last column was about the positives on the now-on-the-winning-side Indianapolis Downforce. Today we'll take a look at the players who are in danger of ending their time with the team - and possibly the entire Brewster world. I guess there's always the GBC, but really, who wants to play there?

The Zeros:

C Yeong-huh Kok. 28. A minor-league free agent from 2054, Kok showed signs of growth with a 1.8 WAR in 2054 in AA. But he may have shot his load in Santa Cruz. (Something I am positive his manager An does illegally, but I can't prove it. Yet. I will find out your secret, you nondescript monster!) He fell to replacement level in 2055 and in 2056 hit .215 for the Downforce with an OPS not even reaching .600. Kok's fine wearing a glove, though, and his positive defense (1.168 efficiency, .8 framing and .997 fielding %) might help save him for at least another year. But he's simply got to hit more. No one wants a Kok who can't score.

IF Kevin Kennedy. 25. Kennedy was a 2053 minor league signing and while his WAR was never amazing, he dropped to -.6 and an OPS of .592, a full 100 points lower than with AA in '55. He may improve under a new hitting coach, but his struggles last year left the big league club without a good alternative to call up. He'll be pushed from inside and outside the org in 2057.

OF Alfredo Flores. 25. Flores, like Polamreddy, came over from Omaha, and also like his trade peer, struggled in 2056, though his drop was lower. He he lost 1.4 WAR (1.9 to .5), however, and his average dropped 20 points. He can't play center field, and struggled badly in a September call up to Yellow Springs. He does have 2 options to get it together, but is also a strong candidate to be DFAed off the 40 man. He's going to have to show something soon or be a trade bust.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”