Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2057.03 Going Somewhere? Rumors Swirl Around Nine's International Prospects

Post by Trebro » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:16 am

Going Somewhere? Rumors Swirl Around Nine's International Prospects
November 1, 2056

by Nes Lessman, for the Yellow Springs Journal

Havana, Cuba – Your award-winning farm reporter is on a field trip! While I usually deal only in the minor league proper, for reasons I'll discuss below, I just had to come down here for some in-person investigation in the land where baseball players used to go to hone their skills back when some of them still didn't wear gloves.

The Yellow Springs Nine's international complex has been very quiet so far under GM Rob McMonigal's tenure, producing no talent of any significance that's headed to the Road Runners between 2053 and 2056. But that may be change in 2057, if the players don't change uniforms first.

A pair of outfielders here, Emilio Navarro and Zee-loo Tsao, are garnering serious attention from other GMs around the league, with my sources indicating multiple teams have inquired if they are available in trade.

What makes them attractive?

Emilio Navarro was signed by McMonigal in January 2055 for $750,000 out of Honduras. (Ironically, it appears that this may be one of the last signings of the type, ever, as the league banned the practice after issues involving the Nashville Bluebirds, with no word on when or if they may return.) At the time, while his skills were raw, BBA's often-maligned national scouts saw him as having contact and eye above average and some strong power potential. He's since been seen working like mad to live up to that hype. His contact has now been rated as above average, with a stronger than better eye and power approaching elite levels. Here at the complex, I've seen him personally launch balls to all fields, well over the fence.

"Emilio hit one over 500 feet," said one scout, who wished to remain anonymous. "It was a thing of beauty."

As a result of this surge, Navarro's potential has skyrocketed, from a mid-forties rating (probably going to be good) all the way to a maximum rating of 80 (i.e. an All-Star).

"He could be elite," said another scout. "Especially if his fielding, which is still raw, improves."

Zee-Loo Tsao was signed by McMonigal in June of 2054 out of Taiwan at the recommendation of his scouts there. He was initially rated as a strong but not amazing player, with average ratings. The type you'd imagine could make the majors if the timing was right and he worked hard. Well, the now 19 year old has worked his ass off. Now he's showing off-the-charts power, above-average contact, and, rare for a power hitter, an eye that could rival the best in the BBA. That's a combination that has some scouts drooling about his ability. He's listed by OSA as the #6 across the entire world of baseball.

What's funny about this is the number five prospect? None other than Narvarro!

"Watching Tsao in mock games is amazing. A lot of these pitchers, especially here in Havana, are just not very good. So Tsao will just sit there in the box and take his walks. But if they make a mistake across the sweet spot, the ball is halfway to Florida."

"If this kid fills his potential, he's got multiple All-Star games in his future."

Now the thing is, this is all just speculation right now. You hear the gasps and the praises, but they're tempered by "if" "could" "maybe" "potentially" and other similar conditional words. I've been around the minor leagues long enough to see that players who look like can't-miss prospects end up hitting a wall when they get to AA or AAA. Heck, Jim Kantor looked amazing in Rookie Ball and was actually demoted out of the Nine's A-ball club, the Tarpons.

That's the issue here. There's a risk for the trading team that they'll get a dud and a risk for McMonigal that he's about to send out the next generational talent. After all, there's not a single Nine fan who doesn't know the name of Dong-po Thum.

So which way is McMonigal leaning?

"Now Nes, you know I can't reveal anything before it's finalized," said McMonigal.

"That sounds like there's a deal in place?"

"I didn't say that."

"But there could be?"

"I'm always listening, Nes. It never hurts to listen."

"You're not going to tell me anything, are you?"

"Nope."

We weren't on a video call, but I could see the broad grin of the recently increasingly successful general manager in my mind. He knows he's got plenty of options with these two young men. I can say myself they are two extraordinary players who could look great in a Nine uniform But on the other hand, with the team on the edge of competing, it might make more sense to move one or both of them to push the team those 5 to 7 wins they'd need to get back into the BBA playoffs for the first time since 2051.

I'll be watching this closely. So should you.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”