GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2055.08 Nine Announce their 2055 Draftees

Post by Trebro » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:08 pm

Nine Announce their 2055 Draftees

May 12, 2055

Yellow Springs, OH – The Yellow Springs Nine announced their 20 signings in the 2055 BBA Amateur Draft today, with brief commentary from GM Rob McMonigal. The team was picking third due to its issues on the field in the past few seasons, an unusual place for the team to be.

"We did what we could to take advantage of picking third," said McMonigal. "Even in a draft class that didn't have many standouts, we're convinced our selection process will lead to success on the field, in both the minors and, when the time comes, the BBA itself."

Below are the top ten picks of the team:

Round 1: OF Edgar Baron. Baron was a member of the Budweiser squad, where he had an OPS of .965 and played excellent defense in Center Field. He also stole 52 bases against 15 caught stealings, a rarity in today's baseball environment.

"I know a lot of people thought we'd take the other center fielder," said McMonigal, but we actually liked Baron better. His numbers were more consistent and his defense was stronger. We love his speed and his arm will play in any of the outfield positions, but obviously we want him in center as the priority. We're delighted to get him in the first round and are looking to him to be a candidate for center fielder of the future for the Nine."

Round 2: SP Ovidu Frunzeti. The Tallboys starter was 13-13 in 46 games with a 3.48 ERA, but his main draw is a highly-rated curveball that comes fully developed, combined with a decent fastball and cutter. His stuff, control, and movement are a bit average, which means he'll have to be crafty to stick as a starter.

"Frunzeti was the best pitcher available, and one of the few left who stood out to us versus his peers and versus the remaining position players. We were happy to bring him into the Nine organization. He may be a future lights-out closer, but we'll try him as a starter first, as we typically do here in Yellow Springs.

Round 3: IF/OF Juan Martinez. The home of the Whopper was Martinez's home, where he hit very little but was solid at shortstop, with a career efficiency of 1.076. He's able to play 6 positions, including all of the infield.

"Martinez wasn't drafted for his bat. We like his positional flexibility. If he can keep up the strong defense all across the diamond, Martinez could serve as a utilityman that can back up the entire team, giving us the ability to do an extra platoon somewhere or even run with a 9-man bullpen. It will be interesting to see if he can hit enough to make that a strong consideration.

Round 4: SP Danny Anderson. A high school player out of the Beer Elephants, Anderson may opt to go back to college to try for a better position in the draft. His numbers were weak, tightening up only in his final year to a 3.50 ERA (from 6.17 in 2054), but his pitches are nearly fully developed and better than average, while his movement is a bit suspect.

"We took a chance on this one," said McMonigal. "But it might be the first pick under my watch where we don't sign. He's got work to do, and might prefer to do it in college.

Round 5: 3B Hilel Bahir. The veteran of the US Coast Guard found his power in his final season, slugging .500 with 11 HR in only 186 at bats. His career OPS is .876 and after freshman struggles at third base, has turned into a defensive asset.

"I don't usually draft one position only players,' said McMonigal, but Bahir has a lot of promise. You can't teach power, and if he keeps developing, that's a great asset to have at third, alongside good defense.

Round 6: 2B/SS Dennis Rollins. From A20 to the show? It's possible. At just 16, he had an OPS of .905, including 1.021 in 2055. His power is more doubles oriented, but as a future strong defender at second base, doubles are just fine.

"I was astounded Dennis was still available in round six. We think this young man might be the steal of the draft.

Round 7: 1B Shelby Sturge. Another high school student with a strong final year, with an OPS of 1.248 in 2055. Despite strong range, his use of his first base glove is a bit suspect.

Round 8: IF Kentaro Muto. Returning to the college ranks, and to the Coast Guard to boot (ironic because Yellow Springs is nowhere even close to Lake Erie), the nine took this multi-talented infielder who is best at second base.

"I know I called Dennis a steal, but Muto is another possible gem. Career zone rating of 11.6 at second base, can still hit his weight, and in the 8th round to boot. I really have to hand it to my scouts for this one," said McMonigal.

Round 9: SP Manuel Parra. Parra is likely pitching depth for the lower levels, with only a promising curveball and a really cool mustache to speak of.

https://statsplus.net/brewster/reports/ ... _61189.png
Round 10: SP Francisco Ramirez. At just 17, he has room to improve but scouts think his average skills and average pitches are about what they will become. Had a good final year with a 3.75 ERA and 1.35 WHIP. Could be a project for the strong rookie coaching staff.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”