2054.27 Nine Avoid Arbitration with Tahir and Rogers

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2054.27 Nine Avoid Arbitration with Tahir and Rogers

Post by Trebro » Sun May 07, 2023 7:53 pm

Nine Avoid Arbitration with Tahir and Rogers

July 5, 2054 – Yellow Springs, OH: The Nine and two of its players celebrated Independence Day by ensuring they remain with the team for another year and avoid unpleasant conversation by signing one-year deals to avoid the arbiter's office.

First Baseman Burhan Tahir is having a breakout year with the Nine, batting .286 with 11 home runs, just one shy of his 2053 total. He's settled into the 5th spot in the order, working to knock in the runners ahead of him, 49 so far and counting. Tahir, an international signing in 2043, has been with the Nine since 2050, taking on a starting role quickly and never letting it go. A career OPS of .802 and nearly 700 hits is setting him up to be an anchor for the team.

"It wasn't an easy negotiation," said Tahir, "but we got it done. I love Yellow Springs and desperately want to sign a long-term deal to stay, but McMonigal won't let me. Claims its against the League Rules. What kind of a rule is that? I'll keep trying."

"I know Tahir is frustrated. So am I!," said McMonigal. "But we'll keep talking about it and I promise Burhan the second I can, I will do a long-term extension. I want him manning first for us for a long, long time."

The deal for Tahir is 1 year and $4,940,000."

Gerald Rogers' negotiations were easier, as the stopper for the Nine got a one year, $1,400,000 deal, an increase on the $1,030,000 he's receiving in 2054. The 26 year old has stepped up to keep the bullpen from falling apart in a tough year, often going 2 or more innings for the team to keep them in games or try to preserve a lead. He's got a career ERA of 4.48, but the number keeps going down each year.

"We like what Rogers brings to the table," said McMonigal. "He's a solid contributor for us and we hope that we can continue this relationship yearly. He understands that as a reliever, we don't do multi-year deals."

"I'll stay – for now, at least," said Rogers. "The money is good and I like how involved I am with the team's back end of the bullpen. If either changes, though – they can color me gone."
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”