2054.15 Yellow Springs Nine Make Surprise Splash, sign Bing-de Zhao

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2054.15 Yellow Springs Nine Make Surprise Splash, sign Bing-de Zhao

Post by Trebro » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:02 pm

April 5, 2054

Yellow Springs, OH – The Yellow Springs Nine today announced they'd signed infielder/designated hitter Bing-de Zhao to a one year, $9,000,000 contract, with incentives.

"I thought it was the best deal, so I took it," said Zhao, who had been left without a team when spring training ended. "They're a team that could promise me a regular role in the lineup and even though they're not slated to be a competitor in 2054, I aim to do my best to change that. At the very least, I'll get a nice paycheck."

"I'm extremely pleased to sign Bing-de," said GM Rob McMonigal. "He's a solid hitter with no sign of decline who can spell Hunter (Dong-po Thum) at second when needed. He's close to his 300th homer and I can't wait to see him do it in a Nine Uniform."

A career .286 hitter with 297 home runs, Zhao was an international signing by Rockville in 2037, receiving a reported $16,000,000 signing bonus and was quickly named a top ten prospect across the BBA. He joined the Pikemen in 2040 and stayed there until 2049, moving to Twin Cities in 2050, where he had a bit of a down season, batting a career-low .211 in 119 games. Nashville signed him in 2051, where he hit .272 but only played in 119 games. In 2052-2053, he was a member of the Pheonix Talons, who allowed him to walk in free agency.

The knock on Zhao is his ability to remain on the field. He's played 150 games only once (2047, when he was in 152), and 130 games just 5 times. His 141 games in 2053 was the most since 2047. When he can play, his bat is strong, with a career OPS of .891. It's hard to know if it's his playing style or just genetics that keeps the talented infielder from being able to remain healthy.

Asked about the health risks, McMonigal had this to say: "Yes, we are aware that Zhao has an injury history. But we're confidence that with the right usage, we can keep him healthy and productive for the Nine. He fills a significant gap in our lineup, one that Bo (owner Bo Jordan) requested we fix. So I did, and I couldn't be happier with our choice."

The signing leaves the Nine close to the salary cap of 120 million, meaning any injuries during the year could have ripple effects. A further ripple effect is on outfielder Eric Grant. With the additions to the team, Grant, who had a step back year in 2053, looks to be the odd man out for playing time.

"I am happy for Zhao and happy for the team," Grant said, when reached for comment. The exact words may be incorrect because of the difficulty in understanding him through gritted teeth.

Zhao is expected to join the team on the 9th for their road trip against the Chicago Black Sox, and bat fourth while serving as the primary DH against both left and right handed pitchers.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 2054.15 Yellow Springs Nine Make Surprise Splash, sign Bing-de Zhao

Post by Jwalk100 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:57 pm

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.71 KiB) Viewed 163 times
:crazylaugh:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic