2053.11 YSN Press Conference (4/15/53)

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2053.11 YSN Press Conference (4/15/53)

Post by Trebro » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:45 pm

Yellow Springs, OH – GM Rob McMonigal held a press conference, his first since the season opener, as the team took a date off before heading on the road to take on Nashville.

Rob McMonigal: "Okay, okay, I see all the hands and I know what you're going to ask me about. So instead of that, I'm just going to make a statement about Mr. Wardman's article.

First, I acknowledge that trying to start Walburn at shortstop was a mistake and it was in fact my decision. However, I deny the way the conversation with Gilberto was portrayed. We'll get to these supposed sources momentarily. As with all teams since the turn of the century, General Managers work closely with their managers on lineup decisions. And we don't always agree, but we always have good conversations and look at each other's arguments and perspectives. I have great respect for Gilberto, he has my full faith and confidence, and I admit: He was right and I was wrong.

Second, we moved quickly to correct that mistake and I'm so very pleased to have Alejandro Cordova on the team. He's not only versatile, being able to play second, short, and third, he's good defensively and with the bat. He played well in the GBC, which I saw firsthand. If he can hit around .260, a little lower than his lines with Jerusalem and Tokyo, he'll bolster our lineup. And while his career numbers at short are not going to win him an award – I'm realistic here folks – he'll use his range to get to the balls he needs to, which, quite frankly, we weren't doing. Plus if there's an injury to Dong-Po, Cordova can slide over, as well as give him some rest time.

Third, I stand behind what we did, or rather, did not do, this off-season. I refuse to handcuff this team's future with contracts to aging veterans. It's not going to happen under my watch. We already have quite a bit of salary tied up into some all-time great Nine players, and I value them highly. And we have some young talent who we'll be talking to about signing long-term deals. I'm not going to throw money at a 34 year old whose metrics are all pointing the wrong way and giving them multi-year deals. It absolutely will not happen.

Fourth and finally, I find the use of "anonymous" sources disgusting. I'm not even sure they're anything but a made up fiction by a man behind the keyboard with a very particular hobby. I don't take much stock in them, and if there are people on our staff who are choosing to vent lies to the press instead of talking to me, I will find them, and I will fire them. Period.

Now, let's move on, shall we? Erwin, let's start with you."

Erwin Wardman, Yellow Springs Journal: "I'll overlook your hostility towards me, but the truth will come out. But what you can't deny is that you haven't held a press conference in 2 weeks. Why is that?"

McMonigal: "Because sometimes I'd rather spend time with my wife and friends." (Laughter)

Wardman: "Do you have a real answer?"

McMonigal: "That was the real answer. Next question."

Valerie Davies, Yellow Springs World: "Thum is batting .178. At what point do you have to make a decision about cutting him from the team?"

McMonigal: "Not going to happen. Thum, Gilberto, and I are in constant contact. He's working on a few things and we are working on a few ways to help him. He is an essential part of this team and this community and we are committed to having him retire a life-long Niner."

Davies: "But his hitting -"

McMonigal: "If I learned one thing from Walburn, hitting isn't everything. The man is a generational talent at second base, with a zone rating already over 3. He's saving so many runs and I can't wait for him to win yet another glove award in 2053. Moving on."

Nes Lessman, Yellow Springs Journal: "How are you feeling about the draft?"

McMonigal: "We can turn the fans off if you're cold, Nes." (boos)

Lessman: "…"

McMonigal: "Seriously, though, we're working hard to identify players who we think can make it to the big leagues. That's always the plan, even when the draft doesn't have a lot of "can't miss" style talent. It's my firm belief that we can get one up on other teams by identifying those players who have great potential that could be developed with our outstanding coaches all across the levels. I won't say what those players share in common, but I will say we think there are some hidden gems out there."

Davies: "Keith Schultz has struggled so far this year. Are you concerned at all?"

McMonigal: "No, he's got a track record we can count on and he's being used in strategic ways to keep him in the best opportunities to succeed. He'll come around. Being honest, a lot of players aren't quite off to the start we'd hoped for, but that's why we play 162 games, not just 16. Hell, we aren't even at 16 yet."

Patti Burns, CBS affiliate: "What's wrong with Derrick Chaney?"

McMonigal: "He's struggling quite a bit, yes. But when you're in that high pressure role, any mistake is magnified. We're confident he'll turn it around. (Pitching Coach) Hirata is working with him on a few things. He's got to get back to missing bats and trusting his movement to work. He's only 32, it's not like he's about to fall off a cliff."

Wardman: "And if he does, what's your backup plan?"

McMonigal: "We have some players on the team who can step up and help him out if needed. I don't run my bullpens by strictly designated roles."

Wardman: "Ah, but I hear that Pacheo does."

McMonigal: "Always trying to find an angle for conflict, Erwin. God that grows old."

Burns: "There's a lot of major-league level players still out there in free agency. Are you looking at anyone, or standing pat? I believe you still have funds to work with, correct?"

McMonigal: "Well, as you saw, we brought in Cordova. And we are in discussions with others, though of course I won't name any names."

Burns: "This is a very important year for the team in terms of milestones. Do you feel any pressure to win now?"

McMonigal: "No, I don't. The goal is always to win, but as I said, I won't wreck this team in the name of a run. The goal is to always be in the hunt, and to strike only when the time is right."

Davies: "So unlike Mr. Collins, you might mortgage the future at some point?"

McMonigal: (Smiling) That, Ms. Davies, you'll just have to wait to find out. Thank you all for coming today, I have a plane to catch.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: 2053.11 YSN Press Conference (4/15/53)

Post by ae37jr » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:01 am

Love the Cordova signing for you. Personally I would have him at 2B and Thum at SS.

But then again... Your 2B position has had about 25 more total chances this season than your SS. I don't know if that's Thum getting to more balls or your pitching staff producing more contact to the right side of the infield. So... I don't really know.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 2053.11 YSN Press Conference (4/15/53)

Post by Trebro » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:06 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:01 am
Love the Cordova signing for you. Personally I would have him at 2B and Thum at SS.

But then again... Your 2B position has had about 25 more total chances this season than your SS. I don't know if that's Thum getting to more balls or your pitching staff producing more contact to the right side of the infield. So... I don't really know.
Cordova has been a great pickup so far. Hope it holds. My theory was make 2b a lock with Thum and know a few balls will leak over at SS rather than have both leak a little. we'll see how that goes.

I also admit I want one more glove for Thum before he can't be a regular anymore. I'm going to be limping him through those last 2 years it looks like. Maybe he's still a regular in 54 but not looking likely.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”