2053.1: Yellow Springs Nine Press Conference introduces McMonigal as new GM

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2053.1: Yellow Springs Nine Press Conference introduces McMonigal as new GM

Post by Trebro » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:04 pm

September 26, 2052

Yellow Springs, OH – Team owner Bo Jordan introduced his newest General Manager, Rob McMonigal, at a press conference today.

Jordan: "As many of you know, our long-time General Manager, Ron Collins, has decided to step down after decades of amazing service in the role. He took this franchise to unprecedented levels of success both on the field and in managing a successful, popular, and profitable team. We are sorry to see him go. Replacing him is the man on my right, Ron - "

McMonigal, loud whisper: "Rob, sir."

Jordan: "Pardon me, Rob McMonigal. He comes to us from the London Monarchs, who were sorry to lose him. He also has experience running other franchises, including playoff experience, in various independent leagues over the years. Ron- I mean Ron, I mean Rob – is exactly who I want taking over and building on the success that we've had."

Erwin Wardman, Yellow Springs Journal: "The Monarchs had a .318 winning percentage under McMonigal. Other teams he's managed have lost over 100 games before. Among all the potential general managers out there, how can you justify this hiring?"

Jordan: "Wins and losses aren't as important as understanding the situation."

Wardman: "I understand the situation was that the BBA Commissioner made this call, not you. Any truth to that rumor?"

Jordan: "We don't comment on communications with the League. Next question."

Valerie Davies, Yellow Springs World: "Will there be any other significant changes?"

Jordan: "No. Our goals remain the same and the support staff will be there for R-uh, McMonigal. Though he has the power to keep or release anyone he wishes."

Davies: "Anyone on the hot seat?"

McMonigal: "That's a question to be discussed with them, not at a press conference. All I will say is that I am so very pleased to have inherited a successful system that has worked for decades. I have big shoes to fill and I'm well aware of the challenge before me."

Wardman: "Was the challenge of London too great and that's why you bailed before the season even ended, leaving a failing team in the lurch?"

McMonigal: "Let me ask you a question: If a bigger, better newspaper offered you a job and required you to start immediately, would you have said no? Hmm? Next question."

Davies: "What are your plans for Dong-Po Thum?"

McMonigal: "To start him at second, or perhaps shortstop, depending on our evaluations of team needs."

Davies: "So you do not intend to try and move his immense contract before the slow degrade of his skills gets worse? Since turning thirty, his WAR has crashed from a high of 9 to a mere 1.9 as we wrap up the season."

McMonigal: "WAR is not a great stat to judge players by. It's a crude tool. While it's true that he's had a few down years, he's still one of the best middle infielders in the Brewster and we're happy to see him out there every day."

Davies: "Okay, let's dig into other stats. No concern about his OPS losing 300 points from that high point, and being a replacement-level player's .615 this season? His batting average losing another 25 points from 20251 to 2052? Going into triple digit strikeouts for the second time in three years after never being higher than 78 previously? That's all fine with you?"

McMonigal: "You're putting words in my mouth here."

Jackson: "What Ron is trying to say is that Thum brings intangibles that aren't on the stat sheet. Next question."

Patti Burns, CBS affiliate: "Why did you select a GM whose name is so similar to the last guy?"

Jackson: "I don't [expletive] know. Next question."

Wardman: "Can you speak to general team goals or plans?"

McMonigal: "Yes. We have a strong core and some amazing young pitchers coming up from Indianapolis that will enable us to spend resources elsewhere while others chase over thirty pitchers in the free agent market. I can't wait to see Reece Newsome and and maybe even Alejandro Morin out there as dynamic duo somewhere in our rotation. The team has has a blip on the road, but I think with some small moves and improvement in a few areas – none of which I plan to share publicly, sorry, I hear the other GMs in the Brewster read these words closely! - we can get back to winning games again, just as our fans expect."

Burns: "Wins are great, but what about those fans who want a Championship? Are you and Jackson content to be also-rans year in and year out for decades to come? Are wins and losses all that matter to you?"

Jackson: "Now Patti, that's unfair to Ron."

Burns: Which one? Old Ron or New Ron?"

McMonigal: "It's Rob, damn it!"

Wardman: "Who's on First?"

Davies: "She's not asking him who's on first."

McMonigal: "Tahir's on first."

Jackson: "What's going on?"

Burns: "What's on second."

McMonigal: "That's Thum."

Davies: "I agree, keeping him there is a Thum idea."

Jackson: "I'm completely confused now. How did we get to this point?"

McMonigal: "I don't know."