GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News - 48.018: Slizz Homer Dumps Chicago

Post by RonCo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:11 pm

Off Topic

Outfielder Has Become Missing Piece in Nine Juggernaut

May 19, 2048: Yellow Springs – Veteran outfielder Sawyer Slizz came to the plate in the bottom of the sixth inning tonight with the score sitting at 2-1 and with Black Sox ace Bernie Stuart on the mound. Stuart’s first pitch was well outside, he second saw Slizz foul it straight back. It was that third pitch that changed the story. Stuart brought his 101 MPH heat, and Slizz turned it into a 404-foot homer into the right center field bleachers.

Like that, the Nine were up 4-2, and would never look back.

Dave Lee went eight and a third solid innings to raise his record to 4-2, and Derrick Chaney got two outs for his sixth save.

After the game, though, the topic of conversation was all on Slizz. Playing in a mostly platoon role, the 27-year-old outfielder is having what amounts to a career-best start, hitting .295/.363/.508, good for a .372 wOBA and 1.4 WAR. The homer was his seventh on the year, to go with six other extra base hits. The numbers are head and shoulders above his last two seasons in Brooklyn, and are at least comparable to those of his sizzling youth.

“I’m really comfortable here,” Slizz said after the game. “The guys welcomed me in, and with a couple Hall of Famers on the coaching staff (hitting coach Emílio Rodríguez and bench coach Lucas McNeill) it’s hard not to feel like you’re going to get the best advice possible. I mean, when Emílio talks it’s like going to church. You just have to listen.”

Regardless of the specifics, the one thing that can be said for certain is that Slizz’s presence seems to have rejuvenated a Nine offense that was somewhat tepid last season. The club is first in runs scored, supported by first in a majority of the stats the league posts on their information releases. His defense, when added in right field in tandem with vastly under-rated center fielder Arvin Duggan, has turned a mid-pack defense into an upper quartile group. Match that with a pitching staff that’s leading the league in ERA and you can see why the team’s 73 Run Differential is a staggering 18 runs better than any other team in baseball.

“Slizz has really solidified this team’s offense,” said broadcaster Melissa Lester. “The difference is night and day.”

The outfielder signed an eye-catching single-season deal this latest off-season, and some are now speculating if the club may be looking to do some financial summersaults to find a way to keep him on the team.

“Anything is possible,” Lester said when asked to define a scenario where Slizz would return. “I think it would be a pretty heavy lift to make that happen, but I wouldn’t bet my house either way. It’s hard to break up a band just as it seems to have come together.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”