GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

PROSPECT BEAT 48.2: Will The Great Banger Scheme Arrive This Year

Post by RonCo » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Off Topic
Travelblog of Thom S. Hunter

Editor’s Note: Yeah, I know. You skip over this part by now. Or, really, I suppose you skip over the whole of Prospect Beat. It's kind of a piece of crap, isn't it? For those few who are new to it, this is a running blog that will cover minor league players in the Yellow Springs organization. I initiated it because this kid reporter was hired without my knowledge and I needed to do something with him. He’s weird, right? Still, he’s got some hella ties, because try as I might, I can’t fire him. Good luck.

December, 2047: YUMA, AZ – So I got my bank roll from the last piece and immediately went on a tinsiest bit of what some might call a bender, but I just say was a road trip and a half, and along the way I found myself first in Tucumcari, then Albuquerque, Tucson, and finally woke up in Yuma. I’m pretty sure I saw at least one nighttime, because hellfire man the stars over Arizona are bleeding beautiful even if you aren’t a Brit like the lassy McNeill fell into, righto? I don’t think I could hallucinate that kind of thing.

Anyway, it’s fortuitous that I’m here in Yuma because I suddenly found my bank account was as empty as my last bottle. Still I went to the closest watering hole—a place called the Cactus Wheel or some shit like that—hoping to subside on the kindness of a stranger or two, and what did my wandering eyes behold but one of the best damned prospects in the Nine system sitting behind a ratty old piano and belting out boogie-woogie country and western ballads about as good as it gets.

I mean. Dude’s fingers were pounding and the place was rocking.

You know who I mean, right?

Banger Dan the Great Piano Man was on his game, and people were as happy as larks or whatever passes for one in Yuma, Arizona. All I can say for sure was that the Teliqua was flowing in so well that it made the Rio Grande turn green in jealousy.

Anyway, I figured the Gods was shining up on me, and so I sidled up to him to get the skinny on what he thought his chances of being with the Nine were this year. Fact is, his 2047 was about as good as it gets. The cat, it seems, can play third base about as mean as he can the ivories. He hit .302/.357/.496 in Santa Cruz last year, after all—complete with 15 homers and 54 doubles. That’s right fifty-freaking-four. Read ‘em and weep. Even had a triple, which is sublime, really. I mean, the guy runs like he’s got that standup piano in the Cactus Wheel strapped onto his back…which I guess is where he gets his nickname. Whatever. Alls I can say for sure is that the image of Dan lumbering around to third base on one massive sprint makes me laugh so hard I had to slap my knee to get myself to stopping.

“Can’t say,” Banger said when I as about Yellow Springs. “They keep it pretty close to the vest, and really Derek is doing pretty well, too.”

“Derek” in this case is Derek Cumming, the second year player up in Yellow Springs who seems to be coming into his own at third, too. Cumming and Dan would seem to be brothers from opposite sides of the spectrum. Where Dan is a bump on a log, Cumming is lighting fast—as in 50 Stolen bags fast—and where Cumming is a block of cement in the field, Dan is slick as silk with the leather. Cumming switch hits. Dan goes one-sided, RHB. That said, the truth is that scouts are getting even higher on the both of them—so much so that what I hear rumbling in the wind is that the team might just see Dan’s good enough to push Cumming to first base when that Chenoweth guy’s deal runs out in 2049.

We’ll see.

We’ll see, indeed.

What I get from Dan is that he’s fully set to start the season in AAA Indy, and then see what comes. Makes sense, I suppose. No need to rush. Those same scouts that are so high on the pair of 5s say Dan has some power left to grow into, and that a little plate discipline would seem to be in the offering if he can just get that same piano timing down while he’s standing in the box.

It’ll come, I think as he goes back to the piano and starts up a rumble. The timing is there, and it’ll come. Oh, to be 21 and that gifted, right?

Either way, though, I think running into him today was a stroke of great luck—a sign straight from God, as it were, and as I finish this update and send it off to my editor, then here my payment bell ring, I can almost hear the voice of the powers that be whispering in my ear that I’m staying the course just right.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: PROSPECT BEAT 48.2: Will The Great Banger Scheme Arrive This Year

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Tommy is back!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”