Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 46.013: Ramos Tagged With First Loss of Year

Post by RonCo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:31 pm

Off Topic

”Just say the report of my death has been grossly exaggerated.”

Mark Twain

May 9, 2046: PORTLAND – Ernesto Ramos went six and a third innings today, allowing only a single run—yet he still managed to walk away from the mound with a loss, his first of the year.

“He’s having a real bounce-back year, though, news that certainly makes Yellow Springs Nine fans breathe a sigh of relief. Shoulder inflammation shout down his 2044 season, and arguably was a harsh presence last year when he finished 5-6, with an ugly 5.56 ERA in twenty-five starts. “The stuff was still there,” a scout said after the season. “But his command was just never found. Ernesto never seemed to know where that circle change it was going, and hitters could just sit back and wait on the fastball.”

This year, the CC is back, and Ramos is busting hitters like he once did. He’s sitting at 3-1, with an eye-popping 2.36 ERA. It probably helps that he’s keeping the ball on the ground more than last year, which allows the Nine’s infield to turn their magic for him.

“I’m happy,” Ramos said after the game. “I’m throwing without pain again, and they guys are great. Today we just didn’t get runs. Other times I don’t have it too much and they bats lift me up. That’s how the game works.”

At 31 years old, Ramos has two more seasons on his relatively pricey contract, and over the off-season there were rumors that the club might need to trade or release him in order to relieve some obvious discomfort in the financial belt area. His 117 career wins (seventh all-time behind current manager Alberto Sanchez), however, show what he’s meant to the club since his arrival. Cutting him would have been hard to watch. Trading harder. The pair of Ramos and Carlos Valle has been an iconic element of the team throughout the 40s.

With Ramos climbing the ladder again (he’s improved his overall SP ranking from 82nd to 65th to date, fans are looking forward to the show going on and on.

GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”