GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 46.007: Nine Unveils Caleca Memorial

Post by RonCo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Off Topic

TEAM COMMEMORATES HISTORIC SITE

April 28, 2046: YELLOW SPRINGS – As we write this, the Chicago Black Sox stand proudly atop the Heartland division, but our beloved Yellow Springs Nine are not completely dead yet. The season is young. Spring, complete with the essence of farmland fertilizer, is a steady presence in the air.

It is a scent that brings to mind the … um … flurry of activity a few years back that incorporated as many as seven BBA teams and included such accusations as polluting and conniving to one-up each other—perhaps the culmination being the still mostly un-solved case of exactly how a truckload of pig manure was dumped on a stretch of Highway 68, just outside Yellow Springs’ Utopia Field. The event caused the game scheduled that day to be delayed many hours, and called the city’s emergency crews in to work at a feverish pace to clean it up.

Sox owner Vinnie Vitale was put under intense scrutiny regarding whether he might have been retaliating for earlier corporate espionage, and at one point or another parts of the investigation landed in Boise, California, Omaha, Portland, and Madison. While no charges have ever been brought, opinions have run wild.

Good Times.

Today that stretch of US Highway 68—both the meridian and the ground for hundreds of feet beyond both stretches of the highway—remains a fertile ground for eternal growth, a situation that has led many city dwellers to take their lunch breaks out there in the lush green lawn. “It’s a wonderful place,” said Maeve Acelac. “I take my kids out there and they play Whiffle ball while I eat lunch. It’s a great time. The kids really enjoy it.”

NINE LEASE LAND

Today, after hearing news of the loss of the Black Sox Assistant-to-the-Assistant GM Vic Caleca, the Yellow Springs Nine front office announced that it had entered an agreement with the state to lease the land around the site for the next two-hundred-fifty years, including the median.

“This is an prominent place in the history of Yellow Springs baseball,” the announcement read. “And it’s important to the executive suite and all Yellow Springs fans that we preserve it.”

The team intends to maintain the large, open field—where much of the pig slop pooled that day, and where the grass now grows as green as any green ever made, and as soft as any blanket has ever been woven—as a place for kids to play ball. Admission will be free to the public, and games will always be welcomed. Rather than have a defined infield and outfield, the base paths will be simple worn patches in the ground made each spring when the team holds a “Running of the Bases” celebration where kids will be encouraged to run the pattern and ensure those basepaths never fade. Also, there will be no outfield fence—but instead, the playing surface will be ringed by a dense ring of pear trees deep enough to allow for a few clearings filled by more green grass and sets of picnic tables.

The park will carry the name Caleca Field, and will also be home to a small monument behind home plate—a tasteful scene cast in bronze relief that depicts Caleca standing at an outfield wall covered in ivy, beside a baseball player wearing the number 14.

Does this mean that the Nine have information regarding the toxic dumping that the world doesn’t?

“I can’t say anything about that,” GM Ron Collins said at the unveiling of the monument. “But I can say that I’m damned glad the whole thing happened.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 46.007: Nine Unveils Caleca Memorial

Post by 7teen » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:11 pm

Well done, Ron.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039