GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 45.041 – YS9 Players Headline Frick All-Star Rosters

Post by RonCo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 am

Off Topic

Nine Send A Half-Dozen to The Game

July 4, 2045: YELLOW SPRINGS – Outfielder Rex Foster (23 votes), and bullpen ace Angel Hernandez (12 votes) were voted by fans around the league into All-Star positions yesterday, and four others were added by well-informed fiat by last season Landis representative Long Beach. The assignment represents the second such appearance for each player, Foster’s initial appearance coming last year (in which he won the Puckett award for left fielders, Hernandez’s initial appearance coming in 2043 (a 4.1 WAR, 102 inning season that included 7 wins and 17 saves to go with his 2.29 ERA.

“Rex is beginning to make a name for himself around the league these days,” said one-time Nine Broadcaster Melissa Lester in her initial episode of the new Nine Points podcast, wherein she covers nine items of YS9 news each day. “But he’s been an elite level hitter pretty much since he broke in. He’s only halfway through his fifth season and he’s already over 20 WAR on his career. At age 25, he might have more peaking to do. It’s good to see Hernandez get his due, though. Angel has been a quiet mainstay on this staff for a lot of years, but with all the names around him it’s been hard to get him much oxygen. Let’s put it this way, though: his career ERA is 2.13 in 372 innings. I think that’s pretty good.”

The players selected as reserves are an interesting mix. It’s probably no great surprise that second baseman Dong-po Thum was added to the list. 2045 has not been his best season overall, but he was mostly hampered by a slow April. This will represent his sixth appearance on the team, however. It’s also probably not too much of a surprise that lefty starter Dave Lee was named to the club. At 11-0, 2.26 Lee seems to have finally broken through the barrier between him and his truer talent. On a more surprising note was the inclusion of veteran ace Carlos Valle. Valle is no stranger to the game, this being his seventh such selection, but with his “odd year” curse seeming to be in effect (6-6, 4.20), fans of other teams could point to him as a “vanity” pick if it had come under YS9 coverage.

Perhaps the best storyline of all of them comes in the form of reliever Dean Stranaghan—a 25 year old rookie signed six years ago as a minor league free agent who has worked himself into one of the more electric arms in the league. His 5-1 record includes three well-earned saves and a 2.53 ERA.

“I’m so excited I can barely keep the quivers out of me,” said the young man from Melbourne, Australia. “My mum and dad didn’t know what to make of it when I called them. Jessie ran out and had a cake made. It’s going to be really fun for a while.”

Rest of Team Ready for Rest

“It’s been a real dogfight this year,” said manager Sam Brewington. “The Heartland division is still wide open, and we know we’ve got to be ready to get after it every day. In that way it will be nice to have a few days where most of the guys can unwind. I’ve given explicit directions to everyone not to get hurt.”

In other news, Brewington’s future with the team seems to be in greater doubt with each day that progresses without a contract extension. An ex-hitting coach whose been with the organization for thirteen years, and who worked his way up from A-Ball to the majors before taking the skipper role in mid-2042, Brewington’s contract is due to come to an end this season, and his representation suggests the two sides are still pretty far apart.

At 66 years of age, the manager is a bit philosophical. “Things happen like they are supposed to happen,” he said. “I like the All-Star break because that’s when I took over the team, but it also shows how much of a business this is. Bill (previous manager Bill Inkster) lost his place partially because he wanted to be compensated better and partially because he wasn’t doing the job the front office wanted done. As much as I’d love to go out on whatever terms I dictate, it probably won’t be any different for me.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”