GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 45.038 – Kawashima Patient Under Pressure

Post by RonCo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Off Topic

Rookie Transitions to Bigger Role

July 5, 2045: SEATTLE, WA – Sazui Kawashima didn’t ask for Ricardo Mendoza to be traded, but now that he has, the youthful outfielder is trying to keep his mind focused on the moment. “I’m not going to be Moo,” he said, “But I think I can help the team.”

At first glance, perhaps one would be tempted to say Kawashima’s first week as a regular (against RHP, anyway). He was only 3 for 16 at bats, a paltry .187, but he also drew six walks, making his OBP a much more interesting .473 OBP. Ince the key to offense is not to make outs, one thinks perhaps that the Nine were happy on the whole.

“We know he’s going to be a different player than Mendoza was,” said manager Sam Brewington. “So the goal is to get Sazzy ready and happy to simply become Sazzy.”

Those walks are a key part to Kawashima’s game, and a key difference between him and the free-swinging Mendoza. “I’m going to try to stay on my game,” he said when asked about his batting average. If I stay within myself the average will wind up fine, but if I try to be Ricardo I’ll fail, because I’m not Ricardo.”

Teammates Share Anticipation for Homestand

The trade has done one very good thing for Kawashima—given him a good reason to go apartment hunting. “I wasn’t sure how long I’d be up this time,” he said, “so I’ve been crashing with Maximo (fellow rookie Maximo Garcia). Now that it’s clear I’m not going back to Indy, I’m looking forward to our next homestand because I’ll get to go apartment hunting.”

“I’m happy too,” Garcia said from the wings of the interview.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”