9-News: 44.026 – YS9 Draftee Introduction: Round 2

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 44.026 – YS9 Draftee Introduction: Round 2

Post by RonCo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Off Topic

Like the rest of the BBA movers and shakers, the Yellow Springs Nine front office is off in some exotic place making selections that will restrict the professional freedom that several young players will be able to exert for the next decade or so of their lives. Draft day is always a gala event, filled with a mix of bravado and despair usually made in equal parts—with some, however, suggesting this class my be more on the despair and less on the bravado.

Time as always, will tell.

Fervent Nine fans can’t be bothered to wait for time, though, which is good for us because then we can rake in the big bucks by selling this swill we’re calling a draft review.

Enough with the pre-game festivities, though. There’s a pool out back, and a margarita with my name on it waiting.

Let’s take a look at the Nine’s “haul,” moving now to the second round:

O’Hara Selection Catches Some Flack

ROUND 2 SELECTION: Hollis “Duck” O’Hara (C)

The parent club pitchers are currently enjoying having the services of Javier Rodriguez and Bruce McKinley on the team—both of whom can do a little damage with the bat, and serve to enhance their pitching from behind the plate. O’Hara fits that mold. Kind of. At least he fits it while in the field. Word is that they call the guy “Duck” as much for his propensity to bail on the curve ball as for his love of Daffy.

Fun fact: O’Hara drove a scooter to and from his games at Bacardi High (there’s a name for you, eh?), and plastered the sideboards of it with images of Daffy Duck. He’s also rumored to sleep in Daffy Duck pajamas, but let’s keep that between you and me, all right?

At 6’6”, 210, he’s an intimidating aura while wearing the Tools of Ignorance.

As with Pfeffer, the kid has no record of ever playing in an actual game—which, I suppose is what would happen to us if we went to a place named after rum. This, as well as his difficult projections with the bat, made some suggest that taking O’Hara here was a bit of a reach. That said, the club was intrigued with him as a left-handed bat, and since he scored well on his pre-colege exams, considered him to be worth a shot at #2.

ContactGapPowerEyeAvKArmAbi
2/51/31/21/41/799
RepertoireScouted
Fastball4/6
Slider3/6
Curveball2/4
Change1/5
Sinker4/8
Projection: Look for the Nine to assign O’Hara to Alamogordo to play alongside International Complex prospect Ziad Abdul-Samad. There appears to be some thought that the team thinks the pair could move through the organization in lock-step and become the next J2/BruceMack combo.

Last Word: When O’Hara was drafted, YS9 fan Ginger Gable, a bit of a distant cousin to Clark Gable, was quoted to say “Frankly my dear, I don’t give damn.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 44.026 – YS9 Draftee Introduction: Round 2

Post by jleddy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Can't overlook the oddity of being a lefty-throwing catcher! Fun, if nothing else.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 44.026 – YS9 Draftee Introduction: Round 2

Post by shoeless.db » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:13 pm

I like his repertoire from behind the plate, too. It's nice having an 8 potential sinker to throw out would-be base-stealers.
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”