GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 44.012 – Muto Takes Long Road to Bigs

Post by RonCo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Off Topic

Minor League Free Agent Becomes Answer to Trivia Question

March 31, 2044: Yellow Springs – Five months ago, the world of Seinosuke Muto was in upheaval, with only one thing seeming clear—that future did not lead to Yellow Springs. The 6’2”, 230 pound left handed batter had made a small, but somewhat successful debuit back in 2040, seeing 29 plate appearances with the club before being sent back to AAA Indianapolis. Four seasons later he was out of options and fed up with minor league buffet spreads, so he chose to go to free agency.

“I was ready to find another place,” he said today as he learned he’d made the Nine’s Opening Day roster.

Oddly, it turns out that the market for 26-year-old minor league 1B is apparently pretty small. When the Nine came back and dangled that same minor league deal he’d turned down, this time with a promise that he would be given a serious look. He finished the spring with a solid enough .286/.318/.476 slash—which was enough.

“We know who Seino is,” said defending Manager of the Year Sam Brewington, who served as Muto’s hitting coach earlier. “He’s got 30 HR power in the right situations. And he can hit the gaps. I was happy when he slipped under the radar, to be truthful. I think he’s going to be a real contributor.”

“It’s strange how life works,” Muto said. “If someone bet me last October that I’d be back here ad playing in Ohio, they’d be a real winner.”

McNeill DFA’d

Of course, the bigger news is exactly who he displaced—at least for the short term.

At the same time that they posted their official active roster, the team announced the longtime Nine slugger, and veritable Yellow Springs Establishment Lucas McNeill had been designated for assignment. This then, represents the first time since he broke in that McNeill was not on the Nine’s roster.

“It’s a bittersweet day,” Brewington said. “I’ve been there, you know. It happens to us all.”

McNeill posted a brief video for Yellow Springs fans, vowing to stay in shape and saying that “you haven’t seen the last of me!”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”