9-News: 43.014 – Roster Review: Shortstop

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 43.014 – Roster Review: Shortstop

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:29 pm

Off Topic

As members of the Yellow Springs Nine head to Fools Gulch for Spring Training, it’s time for us baseball writers to have fun taking a look at the players in the organization and pretend like we know who it going to make a difference. In the past we’d wait until later in the year and do a prospect review, but this time we figured why not go full Monty and do it all at once, right?

Today we’re going to talk about the shortstop position, focusing first on the guys we expect to see in Yellow Springs, and then a few others down deeper in the organization who could crack the lineup over the next several years.

Yellow Springs

PlayerAgeBOVRHITTINGDEFENSE
Luis Pena23R55/555/6/3/5/710/11/9/11

Luis Pena won is second Zimmer in three seasons, and the odds are that 2043 will see him in the mix to win another. His bat dipped a notch last year to .255/.324/.379, but he showed a bit more power, hitting ten homers. His legs were probably even more valuable as he stole 26 bases in 33 tries, a 78.9% success clip.

Pitcher's Best Friend
He came to the organization as a supplemental pick in the first round—a pick that YS9 agreed was perhaps a reach at the time, but that they couldn’t pass up (he’s an example of what I mean when I say I draft for position). Bottom line, though, that kind of pick seems to carry through everywhere he goes. Luis Pena, despite his Zimmer awards, still fights for recognition as far as inclusion into the conversation for top shortstops in the league but given the totality of his game and the raw dominance of his glove he certainly belongs in the conversation. At 23 years old, team insiders hope that he’s just coming into his prime as a shortstop.

“I love Luis,” said Nebraska Award winner Carlos Valle. “I say he’s the guy that got me this award.”

That’s the thing about a shortstop like Luis Pena. His value is of the charts, but invisible. Is there a coincidence that Valle’s two Nebraska awards came in years that Pena took the Zimmer? We think not. A lot of pitching is defense, and all defense is pitching. If you look up Luis Pena’s WAR, you see 2.3 last year, down from 3 the year before. We’d suggest that’s under-stated. Just as any Nine pitcher.

BEST CASE PROJECTION: Pena scores 2.5-3 WAR and takes his third Zimmer
CONCERNS: If Pena gets hurt, Thum moves to shortstop…which is fine for shortstop, but leaves a hole at second.

Prospects

LevelPlayerAgeBOVRHITTINGDEFENSE
AAARon Ritchie22L45/505/6/4/5/69/6/11/11
LevelDark HorsesAgeBOVRHITTINGAB/ARM
SAJose Terrero19R40/403/3/2/6/49/9/10/11
AJuan Echevarria22S35/353/4/2/6/310/11/11/11
AJulio Colon21R25/403/3/1/6/410/6/9/8

Given their numbers, I write about both the Prospect list and the Dark Horses together.

The fact is that when San Antonio pulled a Rule 5 sneak attack and stole away Bob Allen, the Nine lost a secret weapon from their utility belt. That leaves Ron Ritchie as the lone shortstop in the true prospect lists. And he’s a pretty good one. The YS9 front office acquired him from Charm City to little fanfare, but despite being a bit of an error magnet at this point in his development, admittedly likes him quite a bit.

Ritchie’s left-handed bat should play well, and his arm and footwork acumen around the bag are already considered elite. If he can manage to cu down on errors even a little, he’ll be another elite fielder cut from the same cloth as Luis Pena.

Can’t complain about that.

At issue though is what comes next.

Ultimately, the entire Dark Horse list is filled with guys who will need the miracle of laying on hands to their bats in order to make a dent in the big leagues. What they can all do, however, is to field. Echevarria in particular outrates even Pena as it stands today. Of the trio, however, Terrero gets the nod as the guy most likely to succeed, mostly because he’s the youngest.

The team also has Alex Nunez and Jose Moran in the organization, both miraculous glove men, but we couldn’t put Nunez’s “2” contact on a prospect list, and Moran has now aged out of it.

OVERALL FARM SYSTEM STATUS: Ritchie doesn’t get much respect in national news, but he’s the kind of guy we like. Nine scouts expect he’ll be a valuable member of the team sometime in the next two years. After that? Well, it’s time to either get lucky or for team scouts to put the nose to the grindstone and find another shortstop to draft.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 43.014 – Roster Review: Shortstop

Post by Fat Nige » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Terrero could have a good future lol, if he develops to 405 ;)

Good stuff though, I might nick something on this lines for my 2044 previews
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Oops... :)

Just thought it might be good to pick off two birds with one stone--combining the prospect list with the major league preview process.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:30 pm

I think it works well, looking to change up my previews next year. I feel it gets a bit boring if you do the same thing year after year, plus I think I want to try to focus more on ratings development, particularly for the lower minors, still probably referencing their stats in the write-up
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”